Macbook Pro Advice

Reaction score
I plan on buying a Macbook Pro 15'' 1.83GHz [Refurbished] from Apple sometime in the next month, before school starts. I'll use it for... college stuff, nothing too intensive though I do like my games.

Just a few questions-

1. Is there any reason not to buy a refurbished laptop from apple? My thinking was that if there is anything wrong with it I'll just send it back because I'm entitled to the same warranty as a new computer right?
2. In general will I see a major performance boost from 1GB -> 1GB+ RAM? [should i buy a 512 or 1gb stick]
3. Is it possible to upgrade the video card post-factory?
4. Is there any reason to wait? [Don't need to wait for leopard.]

80GB External Hard-drives?

Laptop bags?

eBay? yay or nay

EDIT:: When you get a refurb. mac, you're still getting everything that comes with it right? ie power cord, Disks, etc.

Thanks for any advice and insight!

M

menace3054

usually the refurb price is the same as the price with a student discount. unless the discount is significant, id buy a new one (with student discount its 200 off)

1GB is good, 1.5 is great too. you should be fine with 1 GB if your not doing anything intensive
3) you cannot upgrade the video card ever, its soldered on
4) dont wait!! buy now youll be happy

i just bought a 400 GB external hd for 200 bucks at bestbuy, i use a bag from www.spireusa.com, lots of people like booqbags.com, stay away from ebay for computers, for accessories its fine

K

Katie

I agree with menace3054 - I'd get a new one because of the student discount anyway. sounds hypocritical of me to say (since I'm technically waiting), but there's no reason to wait! get one now and have a blast enjoying it! :) 1 gb of RAM sounds good too, unless you do a crazy amount of stuff. I would do a search here or at google for bags because there are tons and tons of places that talk about them. good luck!

Reaction score
In Apples UK Online store they have just added some 13" Macbook specific cases. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
menace3054 said:
usually the refurb price is the same as the price with a student discount. unless the discount is significant, id buy a new one (with student discount its 200 off)

1GB is good, 1.5 is great too. you should be fine with 1 GB if your not doing anything intensive
3) you cannot upgrade the video card ever, its soldered on
4) dont wait!! buy now youll be happy

i just bought a 400 GB external hd for 200 bucks at bestbuy, i use a bag from www.spireusa.com, lots of people like booqbags.com, stay away from ebay for computers, for accessories its fine

But a new one (2GHz) is $2000, with the student discount it'll be $1800. The one I'm looking at is $1549. [Previous generation model] I don't think the .13GHz speed increase is worth the $450 premium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
J.LaFrance said:
But a new one (2GHz) is $2000, with the student discount it'll be $1800. The one I'm looking at is $1549. [Previous generation model] I don't think the .13GHz speed increase is worth the $450 premium.

yea thats what i was thinking when i was reading this thread, i would just go with the refurb. from what ive heard, apple refurbs are practically new. u can still purchase a 3 year warranty to be safe and u still arent spending as much as u would for the the 15" 2.oghz which is 1799 with student discount. just get the refurb with apple care. and the bag depends on whether u have any sort of laptop carrier at all. i have a samsonite backpack wich works just fine, but i want to add an incase sleeve to protect the exterior of my notebook even more. but look around like the other guy said. theres tons of great bags out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.