• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IMac in trash!

M

motown

One of my neighbors threw away an original tray-loading imac a few days ago. I've never owned a mac, so I grabbed it from the can and away I went!

I brought it home and it powered up fine, but I have a few problems. First of all, the guy who owned it put linux on it. That's cool and all, but I want to play with the mac os. If I can get os 9 on there, I might try and sell it to use the money for a newer mac. I found a copy of os9, but I have to update the firmware, first. This requires a pre-existing mac os, so I'm out of luck. I found a norwegian copy of os 8.6 online, but my mac won't boot after I installed it. (grey screen with alternating mac face and "?" in the center).

Can somebody help me find a retail copy of os 8.5? I really don't want to spend much money on it, certainly not the $40 to $75 I've seen it go for online.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
ebay. expect to pay 10$ ha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
does anybody know if he can get 10.2 on there? it is a much better idea of what macs are like today. os9, imho, is the reason that many people dont like macs a lot
-chris

Reaction score
Tray loading imacs can run up to 10.3 just fine if he has enough memory.

OP
M

motown

cradom said:
Tray loading imacs can run up to 10.3 just fine if he has enough memory.

They could, but not without the firmware updates. Aparently, there are some important video firmware updates and the like that are required for it to be usable under osx. OS9 won't even install without these. Since my Imac tops out at 160 megs of ram, and runs at 233 mhz, I'm not sure I want to submit myself to that kind of resource-starved punishment under osx.

Reaction score
motown said:
Since my Imac tops out at 160 megs of ram, and runs at 233 mhz, I'm not sure I want to submit myself to that kind of resource-starved punishment under osx.

is that the big teal one? the offical death of the floppy disk?

my ex g/f got one in college (like 1999); it was a pile honestly. it would crash a LOT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
try buying a new one...they cost under 30 dollars....actually, i have 2 newer ones sitting in my basement....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
kevin_msu said:
is that the big teal one? the offical death of the floppy disk?

my ex g/f got one in college (like 1999); it was a pile honestly. it would crash a LOT.

I loved mine never crashed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Snow. 500 MHz DV Special Edition OS X.3.9 640 RAM 130GB
i love G3's. collectables if you ask me, since they are so cheap these days.

im using a G3 Snow. OS 10.3 runs fine. next for me will be an eMac :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.