Linux login trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I am really sick of windows, so I decided to try installing Ubuntu Linux on my old PC to see how I like it. First I ran the live CD and it seemed to run well, so I decide to install it on my hard drive, and banish windows forever. Installation is nice and easy and I had no trouble at all. I loved the fact that I didn't need to install any additional drivers.

Here's the trouble:

When i boot up I get to the log in screen. Unfortunatly, I didn't write down my user name, and I don't remember what it is. I know my password, but when I try to log in, it asked for my user name also. I am new to Linux, and I'm stuck. Does anyone have a clue how to reset a user name?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Reaction score
I have also recently set-up Ubuntu.

My only thought would be to get rid of Linux and re-install it..

Sorry, It's the only thing I can think of :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
during the install you create a owner name which you probably just put your full name

and then you create a logon name which has to start with a lowercase letter, usually you just do your first name all lower case. If you can't remember what you did in the install you will have to just start it over

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure about Ubuntu, but with Suse and Red Hat on the PC I logged in as administrator and the administrator password then I could edit the users and see what I needed to see. Since I have never worked with Ubuntu on the PC but just on the Mac, I am not sure what to look for but I am sure you will find it if you can log in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I can't think of any other way than re-installing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
reinstalling it would probably be your best bet.

OP
macEfan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
thanks guys, all fixed...

Linux reminds me of a combination of both OS X and windows... at least its free, but I still think I like OS X the best :p

L

Logan

Sorry linux doesn't seem to be for you.

(Just kidding. Keep at it, remember free doesn't mean easy and convienent. If you want easy, go with OS X. If you want convienient, go with windows. If you want more money in the wallet, go linux. If you can't remember a username, install windows. tee hee)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Yes, the reason you see Linux as Windows meets OS X is because it runs .exe apps yet is designed on the UNIX interface like OS X. However, it is still prone to viruses. The great thing about it is there are so many distros that it's easy to choose one and customize it further for your needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.