MacBook Pro and Final Cut Studio

B

bee_charmer79

Hi all,

Well I've been pouring over these message boards and found them quite useful. Thanks! Here's my question...

I'm looking to buy a new mac (i've been a pc user up to this point), specifically I'm looking at the macbook pro and the new xeon quad tower (g5 replacement). My main purpose is video editing and some graphic work. I will be purchasing the Final Cut Studio 5.1 suite for this purpose.

I was all set on getting the macbook pro, and then the new xeon tower came out, and now I'm not sure what to get.

I like the portability of the laptop, but I like the expandability of the desktop. I guess my question is, do both systems handle the FCP suite the same? Has anyone been using a MBP with the FCP 5.1? Has anyone encountered any difficulties running FCP on the MBP??

If the MBP can run FCP fine, then I'm quite content to purchase that one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Both system will run FCP just fine. However, the MacPro will run it faster, render faster, etc. The MacBook Pro will run it fast, render fast, etc.

The MacPro will be able to last you longer with out an upgrade also.

OP
B

bee_charmer79

Graphite said:
Both system will run FCP just fine. However, the MacPro will run it faster, render faster, etc. The MacBook Pro will run it fast, render fast, etc.

The MacPro will be able to last you longer with out an upgrade also.

Are MacBook Pro's upgradeable once you have them? Specifically graphic cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
No I dont think you can upgrade the gfx card on the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
well later down when a better card comes out.. it will be possible, but very hard to upgrade it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The only things upgradeable in the MBP is the Memory and the HD (Pretty sure that is user replaceable)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.