When I delete something...it doesn't delete totally?

Reaction score
Hello, I've owned my PB since March and I'm still learning the ins and out of OSX. My problem is when I use a thumbdrive or external HD and I delete info off of it the item goes away, but it really just hides itself. It goes into ".trashes" Which still takes up as much space as it did before I delete it. So in order to get my space back on that drive I have to re-format the whole thing. Is there a way to delete things permenetly from harddrives, thumbdrives? And how? Also I haven't noticed if it does the samething with my internal harddrive, but something tells me that it does. Please help and inlighten me. I love Mac and will never go back!
Jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
when you delete things from thumbdrives you have to empty the trash on your mac for it to actually erase the files. You can also just delete the files from the .trashes folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Its impossible to completely erase a HD.. but you can cover it to make it really really hard. The finder allows you to "Secure empty trash"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
friendly suggestion- get a book on OSX, it'll help a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.