n00b Help

J

J*Dizzle

So, I recently picked up a G4 PowerMac 433Mhz CD-R 256MB RAM and a monitor for $100. I really want to use this for home recording, of course nothing serious but something I can use to record songs/ideas. I also want to use this as any everyday web/itunes basic app computer as well.

I am new to Macs and had a question.

I noticed that Garageband 2 requires a G3 600Mhz processor, is my 433Mhz G4 good enough to run it? Or does the fact of it being a G4 not matter and would still need to be 600Mhz?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

:batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz
It's possible that your PowerMac G4 is either a 400MHz, 450MHz, or 466MHz if it's 4xxMHz range. My experience with system requirements & PowerMacs in the 4xxMHz range is that a G4 will run software comfortablely at 50MHz below the G3's requirement. Once you reach 100MHz & greater below the G3's requirement you will usually see a decrease in preformance. Hopefully this info will help you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't remember any G4 433. Is this a Tower? It might be the G4 Digital Audio with a 466Mhz G4. That will run GB ok but you can upgrade the CPU down the line if you want. What does your G4 look like? Where are the Audio Jacks located? Top of the back panel of toward the bottom?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.