• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac's are more popular nowadays

T

todd51

This is what my friends said to me just a minute ago on MSN. He is an avid PC user and I don't think has ever touched a Mac. He told me he thinks it's only a couple of years until Mac's have a lot of viruses to worry about just like Windows. I told him I think they are just as popular as they were 7 years ago computer-wise. However the iPod is the lead-selling mp3 player on the market. He still seems to think that it's only a matter of a couple of years before Macs are just like PC's and they have viruses and spyware also. I just kept laughing at him. Does anyone agree with him? How do you feel about this situation?

Reaction score
seeing as on a mac to install anything.. you need a password.. this is very unlikely.

i think osx is going to stay a VERY stable os.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
todd51 said:
He still seems to think that it's only a matter of a couple of years before Macs are just like PC's and they have viruses and spyware also.
That is what hardcore and diehard Windows fanboys say to make themselves feel better about all the viruses and crapware that plague Windows. :black: :mac:

Reaction score
Mac's will probably get some viruses in the future yet Windows will continue getting more/more/more viruses at a much faster/worse rate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
all we can do is wait and see i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Graphite said:
all we can do is wait and see i guess.
Yup. I have been waiting for 6 years since OS X was introduced. Still no viruses yet.
:black:

OP
T

todd51

How is it that sometime to install applications on my computer it never asks me for a password? Is it becuase I'm the admin account? I wish it asked me for a password, that way when I get up to college my roomates can't go and install stupid stuff on my computer, that is IF they know how to install stuff on a Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol its not Xp-Science (get it? rocket science... see what i did there? psssh nvm) to install on a mac... haha.. just leave your screen saver with password up when your not at your mac, thats what i do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am wih DB and Graphite on this one. Wait and see but after all this time, I don't think it will be all as bad as some are saying. Sure there might be a virus here and there, but only time will tell that. I could say more but don't want to start a war.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
So far the worst thing OS X has is:

a) Leap-A worm
b) I read in MacWorld about a worm that turns ALL text into 1337 speak. (example: this sentence would read similar to this: 1 r34d 1n M4cW0r1d 4b0ut 4 w0rm th4t turns 411 txt 1nt0 1337 sp34k.) Not very harmful, but quite annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I don't think that people use macintoshes because they don't have viruses... people use macs for other reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Graphite said:
Also, I don't think that people use macintoshes because they don't have viruses... people use macs for other reasons.

Well, I'll disagree with that!

Major part of my personal decision had to do with leaving behind the virus/spyware/adware/trojan/ad-nauseum maintenance chores which were a regular part of my PC ownership. Everyone I know (many) with a PC carps about the same thing all the time. IMHO, it is a VERY big deal and a VERY big motivator among those considering switching.

OS X is superior, but still has to be learned. Absence of bugs is immediate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I never got viruses on my pc.. i switched because i wanted something new..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will just say this, I RARELY got any virus's on all my PC's because I know what I am doing (Brag Brag :D) and the few I ever got, Anti Vir took care of. I like OSX and that is why I went mostly Mac. I would go all Mac, but as a PC Repair Tech I need to keep a windows machine around.

OP
R

Rob

Even IF Macs get infested with double the viruses and spyware, the OS will still be far superior to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
*knocks on wood*
doubtfull that would happen.. apple keeps on top of things.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if it ever did, I still love the way OSX works. That alone drew me to it. The lack or Virus's is icing on the cake!

Reaction score
You'd think with all the Windows fanboys at least some of them would have created a Mac specific virus just to show we arn't immune.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do mac fan boys create windows viruses?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.