Sharing internet connection with XP?

R

rs0728

Hello...

I am in need of assistance please.

I have a powerpc G5 with OS 10.4.7. It has airport wireless installed.

I connect to the internet via a linksys router, that is connected to a cable modem, which is located on another floor in my home. The connection is terrible most of the time.

In the same room as my mac, I have a pc with windows xp installed which connects to the same router and the connection is excellent, all the time.

My question is this. Can I disable Airport on the mac and then network the Mac to my PC and share the internet connection with the PC? Would that give me a better connection?
If so, how do I go about doing this?

Do I connect the Mac and Pc directly together with a simple ethernet cable>? Or do I connect them together through a router?

Any help or advice in this area is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I hope I am making sense...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
If both are running wirelessly you could run them off the same wireless signal. That's what I did, until I figured that a direct Ethernet (from Cable Modem) would be faster, and wired my iMac. But running them both wirelessly would work fine.

OP
R

rs0728

Well right now they are both running wireless and connect to the router. Are you saying I can make my Mac share my PC's wireless signal? If so, do you know how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 (Dual USB)-500Mhz,320 MB, OSX10.4.7
Are you just having low connection strength and that is making the connection poor? I have an XP that I have directly connect to an iBook running 10.4.7 via firewire and I have about the same trouble but if I use a standard ethernet I seem to have no problems. The ethernet cable should fix your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well... you can share your internet connection with XP, by going to...
System Preferences/sharing/internet
click what you will be sharing through and sharing from
click start

OP
R

rs0728

daniel-osx said:
Are you just having low connection strength and that is making the connection poor? I have an XP that I have directly connect to an iBook running 10.4.7 via firewire and I have about the same trouble but if I use a standard ethernet I seem to have no problems. The ethernet cable should fix your problem.

Well the Mac has a low connection strength with airport wireless, and the pc with XP has a good wireless connection to my router...

Currently I Have them connected via an ethernet cable, and I have XP setup to allow internet sharing.

I would like to now have the my Mac share the XP wireless connection to the internet. This is where I am lost. I do not know how to access XP from my mac to share the internet...

I tried the GO/Connect to server from my mac, and I keep getting an error 36 cannot complete the operation...

Completely confused ..

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate your time and help.

If I cant get this to work, I just may have to break down and get my own cable modem/ISP account, and connect the Mac directly to the Modem..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 (Dual USB)-500Mhz,320 MB, OSX10.4.7
I have the exact setup at home since I have no wireless card in my iBook. Do you have the wireless connection internet sharing allowed or the local area connection? Make sure the wireless is shared on the pc and that is all I have to do. Then the Mac is ready to go.

Reaction score
daniel-osx said:

could it be a physical issue with the wireless in your mac? if the pc works fast, its not the router.

i have a d link with a mac and two pc's connecting to it wirelessly and everything is nice and fast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.