How Do I Get A Two Mac Network

E

eyan212

I know this question has probably been covered before but i need some help. I have A Power Mac G5 and a Power Mac G4. I would like to network these together so that I can access files from the G4 on the G5 but more importantly I what to be able to use both computer's processors for complex tasks (such as video export through Compressor). I have heard the best way to do this is with CAT6 cable because both computers have Gigabit Ethernet. Please help me set up my Power Mac G4 G5 Supercomputer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You aren't going to be able to use both computers processors on a single task

OP
E

eyan212

Applications such as Compressor, Lightwave 3D and After Effects are supposed to be able to use other macs on a local network to render files, export and do other processor heavy tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't think they can use both processors at the same time on the same task, it can send a project to the other processor but they can't split the load. I think you need a fibre channel card but you will have to look in the documentation

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.