Running on Battery vs. AC

Reaction score
Need some advice, just got my MacBook. For daily use, should I plug in the AC or use the battery (i.e. only plug in the AC to recharge the battery once it's low). If I continueously use the AC, would this harm the battery if the battery is already fully charged? Does unpluging and pluging back the AC when the battery is charged (not full i.e. less than 100%) damages the battery?

M

menace3054

once the battery gets fully charged it stops charging it and runs the computer solely on the ac. if you keep using the battery like you suggest, it would mean more frequent replacement, and they arent cheap! not to mention it will reduce overall battery life in the long run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
my_first_mac said:
If I continueously use the AC, would this harm the battery if the battery is already fully charged? Does unpluging and pluging back the AC when the battery is charged (not full i.e. less than 100%) damages the battery?
No and no.
I have always left my Mac notebooks plugged in whenever possible.
I have also never 'calibrated' the battery in any of them. I have never had any ill-effects from not doing this, nor have I from leaving it plugged in all the time.
I still get 4-5 hours of battery life and I have kept that constant over the life of each notebook I have ever owned.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
my_first_mac said:
do you plug out the ac cord when you turn off you Macbook?
I don't ever turn off my Macs.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB G4, 1 GHz, 768 RAM, OS X Tiger 10.5.6
This has been informational for me. Thanks for the post. I've often been told that leaving the laptop plugged in and running off of AC is detrimental to battery life.

I'm wanting to reach those 4-5 hours of battery life, but can't seem to break an hour and a half. Are the settings adjusted to reach that long? Brightness adjusted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Crowe said:
. Are the settings adjusted to reach that long? Brightness adjusted?
Of course they are.
Dim your brightness, turn off bluetooth and/or Airport, turn off keyboard lighting, don't use attatched external devices, etc... etc... etc.
Basically, the more you use or do the less your battery life is going to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.