• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Updating a G3

A

Animemanga19

Is there any way to update a G3 so I can run iTunes and install newer software on it. How can I update the software to an OS?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which Mac G3 is this? imac? Tower? Desktop? That would help us better help you.

Do you know the model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
There is an itunes version that does run on G3's... I think all the way up to itunes 4?

OP
A

Animemanga19

Graphite said:
There is an itunes version that does run on G3's... I think all the way up to itunes 4?

I need it to run antivirus programs too though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Animemanga19 said:
It is an iMac

So it's one of the older G3 iMacs. What speed is the CPU and how much RAM does it have? Trying to see if you can easily run OSX on it. That would solve all your software problems with new software. Which version of Mac OS are you running currently? Click on the apple in the top left corner and about this mac.

OP
A

Animemanga19

dtravis7 said:
So it's one of the older G3 iMacs. What speed is the CPU and how much RAM does it have? Trying to see if you can easily run OSX on it. That would solve all your software problems with new software. Which version of Mac OS are you running currently? Click on the apple in the top left corner and about this mac.

Mine told me it had 96 MB built in(not sure if that was the RAM), I'm not sure where the CPU is, and that it is running version OS 8.6

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like it might be the old Bondi Blue 233 Mhz iMac or something very close. Is where the CD goes a Slot Load or Tray that comes out to put in the CD? What color is it. 96 Megs RAM is a bit low to run OSX. You could upgrade the RAM though. Also the Firmware should be upgraded to the latest if you install OSX. Like Graphite said, there is a very old iTunes for OS 8-9. I have it here somewhere and it was on Apples site for download. But that would only solve one of your problems.

OP
A

Animemanga19

dtravis7 said:
Sounds like it might be the old Bondi Blue 233 Mhz iMac or something very close. Is where the CD goes a Slot Load or Tray that comes out to put in the CD? What color is it. 96 Megs RAM is a bit low to run OSX. You could upgrade the RAM though. Also the Firmware should be upgraded to the latest if you install OSX. Like Graphite said, there is a very old iTunes for OS 8-9. I have it here somewhere and it was on Apples site for download. But that would only solve one of your problems.

The C.D. drive has a button on the tray that you push and it pops out and then you have to push the CD down as it has a circle that goes in the hole in the CD to spin the disc when you close it. It is a light blue G3 from the colored series where there where different colored iMacs. How can you upgrade the RAM and firmware?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check out this URL. Read the links about the imac G3 Rev A, B, C. One of those is yours. They have URL's there to how to install OSX and update the Firmware and the RAM. Hope this helps a bit!!

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/index.shtml

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem. I have a old Bondi Blue 233 Mhz G3 iMac Revision A and a later Revision D Grape iMac with a 333Mhz G3. I have successfully installed OSX on both. Jaguar 10.2 on the 233 and Panther 10.3 on the 333. The Grape now has 256Megs RAM. Runs Panther ok but it really could use the max 512 Megs RAM.

Good Luck. If we can help in any way, let us know.

Also yours could be the Revision D also. It was the last iMac with the CDROM Tray. In OS 8.6 find System Profiler and open it. It will tell you the CPU speed and many other things about that Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I have a G3 400MHz iMac, and after upgrading to 640mb RAM, 80GB 7200rpm HDD and OS 10.3.9, it runs quite nicely.

Perfectly fine for iTunes, internet, adium etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.