To MBP or not MBP?

B

babadi

I folks,

I currently own a PowerMac Dual G5 2.3ghz and a Toshiba R200 (Pentium M low-voltage 1.2ghz) notebook running WinXP. I use the Mac the vast majority of the time, although the notebook is nice to have for when I need to bring a computer with me (not often) and for when I need to run a Windows app. It's not a great situation, though, since having files on two separate machines in a pain, and the notebook is just too darn slow.

After hearing about the MacBook Pro's performance, I've been entertaining the idea of replacing both my existing machines with an MBP. This would be ideal since I'd have all my files in one place, I'd have a fast machine that I can take with me, and I could run Windows apps via virtualization. But these conveniences would not be worth sacrificing the performance I'm used to. So what I'm wondering is whether an MBP would perform at least as fast/responsive as the PowerMac for most of my common tasks:

- Software development in Eclipse
- Office 2004, especially Word and Entourage
- Web browsing in Safari and Camino
- Instant messaging with Adium
- Playing music and movies from iTunes and DVD Player
- Very, very rarely, a bit of work in PhotoShop or InDesign

Most of the work I do isn't terribly intensive resources-wise, but I tend to have dozens of apps open at once, and I'd want to be sure that the MBP would be able to keep up. Also, I'd love to hear about whether folks are satisfied with virtualization performance on the MBP.

Many thanks for any input.

Regards,
Martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
Office 2004, Safari, and Adium on a MBP runs just as fast as they would on a PowerMac G5; its hard to tell the difference.

Reaction score
I bought my MBP 5-6 weeks ago.

For some reason it takes 18-19 bounces for my Microsoft Word to load...sometimes it takes other programs the same such as AIM.

I ran my disk utility and it said I had problems on my drive.

My MBP has been great but it still has some loading problems for the bigger programs, imo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You seem to have a perfectly functioning desktop and there is no burning need to replace it.
Actually, you really seem to have everything you need already, so the MBP is the luxury call that is up to you.
:black:

If anything, I would replace the notebook with the MBP and keep the desktop.

OP
M

menace3054

MacWill said:

For some reason it takes 18-19 bounces for my Microsoft Word to load...sometimes it takes other programs the same such as AIM.

My MBP has been great but it still has some loading problems for the bigger programs, imo.

well it does run on rosetta, so it should be a little slower...but not that much slower. did you transfer it with the transfer utility when you got your mbp? do you have all the updates? maybe try reinstalling it, mine loaded in 6 bounces

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac

well it does run on rosetta, so it should be a little slower...but not that much slower. did you transfer it with the transfer utility when you got your mbp? do you have all the updates? maybe try reinstalling it, mine loaded in 6 bounces

Measuring time in bounces?

I LOVE IT!

That's when you know you've spent too much time with your mac, LOL.

Reaction score
I assume you live in the US then, I live in Hong Kong and ive never heard of Mr Clean....

theres no such thing as spending too much time with your mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Santa Rosa MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz & 5th generation 30gb iPod.
To Macbook pro indeed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.