New to Mac Some clarification requested

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to Mac and new to this forum. I have been browsing around for a few weeks and just read and read some of the pointers and responces to other peoples' problems.

I went out and got a Mac... Pretty happy with it. Like all the little user friendly things that they have implemented into their OS.

My question is specific to file browsing (pics).

I imported all my pics from the backup DVD that I had from the old computer...

My DVD had duplicates for some reason in this structure:

Root Folder:

Vacation Pics (folder)
- Dominican (Subfolder)
- Mexico (Subfolder)
Misc (folder)
- Mexico Trip (Subfolder)

Now I see the Photos in iPhoto, however, they are unsorted, basically everything is in bulk in a general library...
Because I have not renamed individual pics, I can not search or sort by name... The general Library contains all photos. When I export them to a smaller version (for web use)... It exports some photos twice because of the duplicate folders that I have imported.

The problem thickens a little further:

I have 2 cameras, and one camera had the date reset so some photos have wrong dates, thus not allowing me to search / sort by dates properly...

Here is another issue:

The DVD contained the files in the root by it self (not in any folder)

If I navigate directly into iPhoto folder through the finder, I can not find where it stored those pics... Did it create a separate folder for them?

What I want to know is... How would I go about the sorting process? How can I get rid of the duplicate issue?

There may be some more little issues, but I just cant remember them already. Does Dreamweaver work on IntelMacs natively? Not through Boot camp or Rosetta... As far as I can tell Adobe did not come out with a UB for dreamweaver yet. :p

Thanks all for looking...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I say delete everything in your iPhoto library and start over. But instead of importing all the photos at once, import each subfolder at a time. After each import, you'll see an album of the last import. You can copy that to a new album for each of your subfolders.

As for the duplicates, I think your just going to have to go through them and delete them manually. Sometimes iPhoto will notice when you import the same picture and tell you, but they have to be the exact same for iPhoto to notice.

OP
smkstang1
Reaction score
Actually that does not sound too bad... I may just scrap everything and reupload it from scratch... My site has all the pics on it already so I am in no rush anymore...

Thanks a lot...

Reaction score
I only did this once, so I'm not exactly sure if this is right...but, if you want to keep that same organization structure, I think you can just drag the directory from Finder to list of albums in iPhoto and it will import them in an album of the same name as the directory.

OP
smkstang1
Reaction score
I will try to pull them in instead of just clicking import...

thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.