External Hardrive

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a external hardrive. Does Apple make one? I want something around 250gigs, something reliable. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Apple does'nt make any external drives. I have a LaCie 250gb which has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years and then I just built my own with a 300gb Samsung drive which was much cheaper then buying a lacie but also works great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's mainly opinion. You can build your own and save some bucks too....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Build your own. Follow these steps.:

1. Go to newegg.com
2. use the search function and put in "3.5 external enclosure"
3. Once you find a case that you like (there are many and you can pick and choose, my personal favorite I will link to below. It has the g5 tower brushed stainless steel look to it) put it in your shopping cart.
4. Once you have that cage in your cart go back to the search function and drill down for a 250gb, 300gb, 500gb hdd. Find one that is ata or eide. Put that in your cart.

Check out and they'll ship it to you. Here's the deal. Once you get the drive and the cage it is SO freaking simple, its crazy.

Follow the directions in the cage box to open the cage. Heres the important part.

THERE ARE ONLY 2 CABLES YOU NEED TO PLUG IN. EASY WAY TO KNOW HOW TO PLUG THEM IN IS THIS:

RED TO RED.

On the EIDE ribbon cable there will be a RED stripe down the edge of it. That goes towards the middle of the HDD when you plug it in. When you plug in the POWER cable, theres a red wire on that, put that towards the inside of the hdd too, towards the red stripe of the ide cable. You will know what I'm talking about in like 5 seconds of looking at everthing. Its really very simple.

Here are the links to the ones Id use. I build these things for a living, so take my advice or dont, but I know what works after building them for literally hundereds of customers.

External Drive cage:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2&Description=3.5++external+enclosure&Ntk=all

(I guess Im the lucky one. Rosewill doesnt make the ones I use anymore. I got lucky 6 months ago and bought a whole crate of them directly) any of those enclosures will do just fine.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.