Connecting my Powerbook to Samsung DVD-R135 via Firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB G4, 1 GHz, 768 RAM, OS X Tiger 10.5.6
My wife and I recently purchased a DVD recorder to catalog our Dv cassette tapes. It works great and is accomplishing that task wonderfully.

I noticed when I bought the recorder that there was a dv input in the front of the machine for "easily copying from dv camera." I'm wondering if this will connect to my Powerbook's firewire. Has anyone tried this and failed/succeeded.

I bought the powerbook a couple of years ago and didn't opt for the superdrive (doh). Now I'm messing around with iMovie and need DVD burning capabilities. I know I can purchase an external burner, but if it can be done with the Samsung, that'd be great.

I read a post that mentioned looking for some drivers online. I did that to no avail.

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks a lot.

OP
Crowe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB G4, 1 GHz, 768 RAM, OS X Tiger 10.5.6
Wow...
Not everyone at once.
I take the inactivity on my question as either no one cares, or no one has any idea on how to fix the problem.

Well, I solved it and I wanted to post the results for anyone interested. The DVD Recorder wouldn't recognize the computer while connected through firewire, but it would recognize the dv camera. While messing around with iMovie, I found the selection "Play video through to camera" under the preferences screen. The lightbulb went off in my head. I could use the camera as the middle-man, the translator, the interpretor...you get the point. So, I connected the computer to the camera via firewire, the camera to the DVD recorder and the recorder to the TV; Edit the movie on the Mac, play through to the DV camera, record on the DVD-R135.

Hope it's helpful to someone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.