New OS, Old iMac?

I

imacthere4iam

Does anybody have any info on if Leopoard will run on non-intel imacs? I would like to know so i can be prepared to wait or go ahead and get tiger with my student discount while i can. I'm thinking it may run but just not as well on a g4 imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Leopard will run on a G3 PPC and up.

How well it will run is a different story...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
baggss said:

Some G3s, but not all G3s. Even Tiger doesn't support beige G3s or first-gen iMacs.

OP
I

imacthere4iam

baggss said:

I'm guessing the new OS will somehow take advantage of the intel duo-core chips and leave my g4 1Ghz iMac gasping for breathe. Where did you find the minimum system requirements?

OP
S

slowalker

I tried it on an original Bondi Blue imac (a spare), one of the first to be sold, it blew the motherboard. I saved the shell and made a CD case out of it and I pulled the hard drive , it now survives as an external HD, works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
steve mentioned at WWDC that from G3's to Intel macs this would be the best OS yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
trpnmonkey41 said:
steve mentioned at WWDC that from G3's to Intel macs this would be the best OS yet
lets hope so! My guess is the minimum specs will be 400mhz g3 and 512mb ram. I thinks its good to have 10+ gb of hard drive also, or you won't be able to fit much more than the OS on a drive :p

I'm glad they will still run on a g3, I was afraid that my g4 tower wouldn't even be able to run it..

OP
I

imacthere4iam

trpnmonkey41 said:

Yes, he runs the company. Of coures, he's gonna say that. I'm sure old Bill is claiming that Longhorn is going to be the best thing since sliced bread too! But there has to be some duo-core specific functions to this OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Oh there will absolutely be things that won't run on it. I have a PowerBook G4 and an eMac that run Tiger fantastically, but their graphics cards don't support Core Image. I don't know what will and won't run but the OS itself will install

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.