Virus scanner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Just a note, you most likely don't need any virus scanning software for your mac... at least not yet. There are very few known viruses that can do anything to harm OS X. I installed Norton on my g4 and it really slowed the system down. I un-installed it, and have lived without a virus scanning program for 5 years without any issues.

Reaction score
macEfan said:
Just a note, you most likely don't need any virus scanning software for your mac... at least not yet. There are very few known viruses that can do anything to harm OS X. I installed Norton on my g4 and it really slowed the system down. I un-installed it, and have lived without a virus scanning program for 5 years without any issues.

yes i agree with macEfan because as he said there aren't really a lot of viruses. And norton will slow your computer down. So i would recommend NOT to get a virus scanning software or a firewall because its build in the os.

OP
M

menace3054

macEfan said:

yea norton does really screw up performance, but i do recommend a virus scanner, especially as macs are gaining market share and especially if you network with pcs. do a search and youll find a thread with all the pros of going with a scanner

OP
S

superdude

menace3054 said:
intego virus barrier! www.intego.com uses very very little resouces, youll hardly know its there

No, I'm staying away from Intego.
It started crashing after I updated to the lastest security updates. And it was a b*tch to uninstall it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
menace3054 said:
yea norton does really screw up performance, but i do recommend a virus scanner, especially as macs are gaining market share and especially if you network with pcs. do a search and youll find a thread with all the pros of going with a scanner

True, with the intel systems and all, I think a virus scanner would be good. However, I have a g4 tower, and because its old, and apple no longer ships PowerPC computers, that means the code is different. Hackers will most likely target the newer intel computers if there are ever any major viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
macEfan said:
True, with the intel systems and all, I think a virus scanner would be good. However, I have a g4 tower, and because its old, and apple no longer ships PowerPC computers, that means the code is different. Hackers will most likely target the newer intel computers if there are ever any major viruses.
The type of processor used has little to no effect on the inherent security of the Mac OS X operating system.
Its a piece of hardware. There would be no reason why "hackers" (hehe,lol I like that term) would want to target OS X on Intel systems any more than before. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.