Email Application

K

kylake

I want to setup another email app. on my G-4 400mhz sawtooth
I was going to download thunderbird but in looking at the suggested requirements it suggested G-4 667mhz or higher.
I would assume that because my mac has a slower processor than suggested that I should look for another freeware product for OSX. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I quite like GNUMail.app, which resembles Mail.app in many ways but I find preferable. For a start, it's IMAP support isn't fundamentally broken :)

Other than that, you could try some online lists, such as Wikipedia or eMailman. I'm not sure what it would be about Thunderbird that would cause it to be particularly slow - possibly disabling the spam/scam detection features would alleviate the issue?

OP
K

kylake

cazabam said:

Thanks for the link cazabam....looks like you said similar to Mail apps. in OSX..I assume since it will run on so many platforms that there shouldn't be any issues with running it on my G-4 400mhz sawtooth?

OP
K

kylake

I guess I am at a loss......I downloaded the GNUmail program and the .tar file mounted on the desktop.Unstuffit.....did its thing and mounted the file.
When I try to open the GNU folder I get a loaded file. What do I need to do to get it to load into apps.
Can you spell glitch......or maybe I just need to be educated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have run Thunderbird on a G4 Sawtooth 500Mhz with no problems.

I grabbed the GNUmail in DMG format. Will get back to you.

OP
K

kylake

dtravis7 said:
I have run Thunderbird on a G4 Sawtooth 500Mhz with no problems.

I grabbed the GNUmail in DMG format. Will get back to you.
Okay, I finally found the dmg format and loaded and have the mail up and running but there is one glitch. It will not let me add a number behind the name and before the @. I want an email address like [email protected] it ends up being [email protected] and that kinda defeats the purpose of what I want to do. I have looked for a GNU forum to ask questions... but no luck.

If you can get the right address entered it is a really clean, fast, email...with most features, most people would want....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
that is interesting as my email is like my handle here with the 7 and it worked. [email protected].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just experimented and it works fine here. At what point are you entering that address? If it's in the account set up window, which specific field is causing the problem?

OP
K

kylake

cazabam said:
I've just experimented and it works fine here. At what point are you entering that address? If it's in the account set up window, which specific field is causing the problem?
I type in the address I want in the accounts set up window then fill out the rest of the info recieve, send and mailboxes. click apply and when I return to the accounts my address no longer shows the 2 behind the name and before the @.
Also it picks up mail from the account without the 2...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not entirely sure what to suggest here. It'd be a pretty major defect to randomly strip characters out of string, and possibly a bigger one to do it repeatably. Without seeing it 'in action' I would suggest trying the GNUMail mailing lists?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The strange thing here is you say it still gets the mail. So maybe it's a visual problem with it as if the username was wrong it would not let you log in and get your email.

OP
K

kylake

dtravis7 said:
The strange thing here is you say it still gets the mail. So maybe it's a visual problem with it as if the username was wrong it would not let you log in and get your email.

I have been gone for a couple of days and not able to post. I want to thank you all for your help. You were basicly right dtravis, it was a login problem. The ISP had put in a different username than the one I had suggested. Therefore it would pick up from the existing account but not the new account. I actually have GNU mail and Thunderbird up and running and will see which one I like the best and delete the other. I do like the simplicity of GNU.....but I also like some of the features on Thunderbird.
Thanks again for all your help......to the moderator this problem has been solved. :mail:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.