mac mini vs. dvd player?

Reaction score
I've got a 19 inch widescreen lcd hooked up to my mac mini via dvi. When I play dvds in fullscreen mode the picture quality is not the best. My lcd is an entry level model so I accept that it's not going to be great.

If I hook up my dvd player with a hdmi to dvi cable will it be worth it? Is a dedicated dvd player going to be better than the mac mini with 32mb video ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
The real issue is with the DVD player app in general, it image scaler is considerer one of the weakest around when it comes to DVD apps across all systems (Pc, Linux, OSX) it was designed with CRT in mind and not LCD which is a real shame.

You would see a definite improvement in quality on a real DVD player, but there may be better apps for the mac, I'm not sure though.

OP
cjay
Reaction score
Yeah I've been hearing this and even on a friend's pc with integrated graphics his dvd quality fullscreen is a lot better than mine(same lcd). Oh well I'll just buy a digital cable and hook the dvd up, nice to use the remote anyway. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Or you could try using another app.

Try ripping the DVD in Handbrake at the highest resolution, then playing the file in Quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
BlindingLights said:
Or you could try using another app.

Try ripping the DVD in Handbrake at the highest resolution, then playing the file in Quicktime.

save yourself a step and first just simply try playing the dvd with the program VLC...if not do what blinding lights said
-chris

OP
cjay
Reaction score
To be honest I couldn't see a major difference with vlc/quicktime, perhaps I'm expecting too much out of the lcd but it's nice watching dvds in widescreen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Try ripping the video in Handbrake and then putting it in fullscreen in Quicktime.

VLC is basically Quicktime without the editing and no need for codecs, it plays just about anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.