RAM or Processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
When I open new programs, they'll often take quite some time to load up or run. There are just some processes that will also take a while. Is this due to the processor speed or is this an issue with RAM? As an example, when I open my computer from sleep mode, with no other programs running, I'll open up Safari and it takes about 15 to 20 seconds (quite a long time, in my opinion) to open up. What's the deal with that? Do I need more RAM or is this more related to the processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
more cowbell

let your computer fully wake up
-chris

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
it happens even 20-30 minutes into it. programs seem to be taking longer to respond now for some reason. i've tried restarting it, repairing disk volumes permissions, etc....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
according to your mac specs.. your mac screams "¡Más espolón, por favor!!!"

err.. i mean.. "More ram, please!!!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
How much RAM do you have at the moment?

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
digital john said:
How much RAM do you have at the moment?

512mb. I thought it would be sufficient... coming from Windows. I didn't realize that OSX was so demanding on memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
diesel828 said:
512mb. I thought it would be sufficient... coming from Windows. I didn't realize that OSX was so demanding on memory.

yea osx is a ram hog! but that is the nature of unix and linux. windows only has the capability of utilizing 1gig of ram i believe. the new powermacs can use 16gigs of ram for a good reason!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
coach_z said:
yea osx is a ram hog! but that is the nature of unix and linux.

I wouldn't say that the RAM hogging nature of OS X is inherent in Unix. I'm currently running a NetBSD machine with 16MB of RAM and a RedHat box with 32MB quite happily!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.