scratch disk full in photoshop CS

G

gnarwhale

hey, i'm running adobe CS on my Macbook pro, and i've run into a "scratch disk full" problem. i've googled around to see what the cause of this usually is, and generally its from a full hard drive (i think). Anyways, my hard drive has 63 gigs left in it so i dont think thats the problem. if anyone knows a solution to this it'd be great, as i cant do anything in photoshop now.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Your most likely running into virtual memory issues and not hard drive issues. You need plenty of RAM to work with large files and when that fills up your system then will use hard drive space. If you have a second harddrive in your system that you can partition part off and then assign it in photoshop to be your scratch disk that is the best case scenario.

First thing to do is look at your scratch disk settings within photoshop to ensure you have enough to deal with photos of the size your using.

OP
G

gnarwhale

the thing is that the image im working with is only 500kb, and all i wanted to do was crop it. I tried a bunch of stuff from what devil boy posted, and deleting photoshop prefs and zapping my PRAM, but it still gives me the scratch disk full error. nooo idea whats going on..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Even with the default settings in photoshop, a 500kb file (unless you have created many layers making the file much larger) should not be giving you issues.

You may want to check your ram to ensure it is operating properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.