Coding on a PowerBook

R

redone632

Looking to buy a PowerBook, but I'm not sure how coding will go on it like C++, Java, LUA. Are there programs like Visual Basic and such that run on Mac? I'm going to be taking computer programming coarses but I want to buy a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
redone632 said:
Looking to buy a PowerBook, but I'm not sure how coding will go on it like C++, Java, LUA. Are there programs like Visual Basic and such that run on Mac? I'm going to be taking computer programming coarses but I want to buy a Mac.

In all honesty, it'll depend on what type of programming you're doing. If you're doing commandline C++ or Java programming, you'll be fine. In fact, since OS X is based on BSD, you'll even be better off.

If you'll be doing a lot of Windows-based programming (i.e. Visual Basic, any Studio.net stuff, C++ Builder, etc...) you'll end up having to run windows on your mac, either via bootcamp or parallels.

Hope that helped. ;)

Edit...Since I obviously missed that you're buying a "PowerBook" and not a "MacBook", you'll end up having to run Virtual PC as Menace noted, which is NOT a good thing. My suggestion would be to buy a PC laptop or a MacBook if you will need to do a lot of Windows development.

OP
M

menace3054

Richie_Gecko said:
In all honesty, it'll depend on what type of programming you're doing. If you're doing commandline C++ or Java programming, you'll be fine. In fact, since OS X is based on BSD, you'll even be better off.

If you'll be doing a lot of Windows-based programming (i.e. Visual Basic, any Studio.net stuff, C++ Builder, etc...) you'll end up having to run windows on your mac, either via bootcamp or parallels.

Hope that helped. ;)

but since your saying powerbook, youll have to use virtual pc which is really very incredibly painfully slow

Reaction score
Figure out what you are going to be doing first before you buy anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
menace3054 said:
but since your saying powerbook, youll have to use virtual pc which is really very incredibly painfully slow

HAHA...that's right. I'll edit my first post ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mynameis said:
Figure out what you are going to be doing first before you buy anything.
Exactly. Find out what the technology and hardware requirements are for the course FIRST, then worry about what machine to get. I would highly recommend meeting your class's requirements. The computer you need is more important than the machine you want... worry about getting the machine you need. :)
You can always get a second-hand Mac from Craigslist or eBay later on if you want to delve into the world of Mac OS.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.