Just got my MBP!!! Email Questions.

Reaction score
I just got my MBP and I am more impressed than I could have possibly imagined! The speed, ease of use, sleakness, and overall useability has just blown me away. I have however come in contact with a slight problem. With my ISP...(www.cableone.net)...I can only choose from a limited number of email clients that they support. I dont think however that Mail is one of them. Outlook Express is though. How can I get Outlook Express on my Mac for my email. I tried Downloads.com and tried to download it there from the MAC Software section and it downloaded fine, I just couldn't open a .bin file or something like that. I need Stuffit Expander maybe? Or is there an easier way to get around this with Mail??? Any help would be great people! You've been a great help so far and you have converted this past PC lover into a MAC DIE HARD!!! Thanks again.

Dallas

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Outlook Express is made for the older Mac OS's and not for OSX. Mail will work fine no matter what Cableone says. You can use the basic set up instructions and apply them to Mail but it will be different. Mail will work with any standard POP3 Email or IMAP based email. If you give me a URL to Cableones setup page I could tell you what to do in Mail.

Edit, I just found their setup page, Looks easy to do in Mail. Let me know and I can give you step by step instructions with screen shots if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dtravis7 said:
Mail will work fine no matter what Cableone says.
Exactly. The only reason they don't "support" it is because they don't have any techs trained on Mac to assist you. An email client is an email client. As long as that email client allows for POP access (what most ISP's use, and most mail clients allow POP and/or IMAP) then you can set up your email with it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, as far as setting up my email for Mail, I know which incoming POP address I should use. I have a domain of yahoo.com....so that incoming POP address is pop.mail.yahoo.com. Now for the outgoing, I'm going to have to use Cableone's SMTP outgoing address, I'm just not sure how to go about putting that in? When I was using Outlook Express, my incoming address was pop.mail.yahoo.com and my outgoing was mail.cableone.net. Will it be the same now? Thanks for the quick replies, I knew I could always count on this forum for answers!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, use mail.cableone.net for outgoing (SMTP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It should be "smtp.cableone.net" for the outgoing server.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
G
Reaction score
WORKED!!! I used mail.cableone.net for the outgoing server. Once again, I thank everybody that replied, you have saved the day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
one other question is, is gmail pop3? can I use it with mail? sorry for the hijacking :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Matthew_love84 said:
one other question is, is gmail pop3? can I use it with mail? sorry for the hijacking :(

Yes you can. Go to the gmail page and check for the setup instructions for Mail. When you set up POP it will show you a URL for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.