What iTMS Video needs.

T

TMelcher

We desparately need on-the-fly resizing for video iPods built into iTunes. I love the ability to download television shows off of iTMS, but I hate having the small screen on my video iPod being the limiting factor--I want to be able to play videos at full screen and have them look good.

I would gladly pay a dollar extra per download to ensure that Apple can finance the bandwidth. For now, I tend to only buy iTMS videos when there is a memorable, individual episode of a series I want to purchase so I don't have to pay for the entire DVD set. If they offered DVD-quality videos, I would gladly switch entirely over to iTMS videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
That'd be nice. I hook up my MacBook to my TV to watch iTunes videos sometimes; they look a whole lot better on a low-res TV than on a high-res computer monitor. The only problem would be that the file size would be HUGE. Even if bandwidth wasn't a problem, hard drive space would be. My DVD-to-iPod Video rips are usually around 500 megs in size; my MacBook only has like 50 gigs free after formatting, OS X installation, and Boot Camp. Add in my files and downloads and space starts getting tight. 20 episodes of "24" could add up to over 10 gigs pretty quickly, if it was encoded at a good resolution.

One of the things I think they need is a better black-levels algorithm. The compression is noticeable even on my iPod Video, like in black scenes in Invader Zim or Lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I'm not a fan of buying videos from the iTMS. I just use a Plextor DVR, record whatever I want to watch, cut out the commercials, and export it for my iPod. More time consuming then just downloading, but I have a DVD quality recording and an iPod ready recording.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
TMelcher said:
We desparately need on-the-fly resizing for video iPods built into iTunes. I love the ability to download television shows off of iTMS, but I hate having the small screen on my video iPod being the limiting factor--I want to be able to play videos at full screen and have them look good.

I would gladly pay a dollar extra per download to ensure that Apple can finance the bandwidth. For now, I tend to only buy iTMS videos when there is a memorable, individual episode of a series I want to purchase so I don't have to pay for the entire DVD set. If they offered DVD-quality videos, I would gladly switch entirely over to iTMS videos.

The issue isn't bandwidth per-se, it's the limitations of the iPod itself. They are giving you the best quality picture at the lowest file size. The iPod was only designed to accept video within certain limitations. Breaking up the video quality as you suggested makes it more complicated to run.

Also, don't forget that the current iPod is an experiment. It is not billed as a Video iPod, but an iPod with Video. Expect much more out of the upcoming Gen 6 iPods than is available now in this are. The Gen 6 will likely be a Video iPod or perhaps a whole new device separate from the standard iPod line. You may see more of what you want when it is released. I expect to see an iTunes Movie Store shortly.

OP
J

jlbrew3

baggss said:
Also, don't forget that the current iPod is an experiment. It is not billed as a Video iPod, but an iPod with Video. Expect much more out of the upcoming Gen 6 iPods than is available now in this are. The Gen 6 will likely be a Video iPod or perhaps a whole new device separate from the standard iPod line. You may see more of what you want when it is released. I expect to see an iTunes Movie Store shortly.

It is highly likely that we see greater capacity 6G iPods that are designed to work with the highly anticipated iTunes movie store in the near future

at least I hope so...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.