Mini G4 Hd Died

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
So i was up almost all night trying to diagnose why when my Mac Mini accidently got unpluged and when it was plugged back in didnt work very well....actually never went back into OSX. After Hours of it not working, bout 5am this morning i went to sleep. Woke up and called Apple. They tried to diagnose the problem and after i told them repeatedly the HDD was sounding weird and not normal. the Apple Hardware Test came back wth a Big NEGATIVE on the test, (couldnt complete test hdd issue) So they refer me to COMPUSA which is the only apple store in the area (sucks) So i got my Case # go in there and give them the mini. They were nice, just said it would be 1-10 Business days. After APPLE told me to wait til they got it done. Ithink this is a lil redicilus.

Anyways to another point.

I was reading MACWORLD (this months issue) and they said how to modify themes. Really cool stuff. But thats the last thing i did to my computer before it died. Im wondering if that 3rdParty software NUKED my HDD in some way. but MACWORLD put it in their Magazine. HMM

Just a lil of my $.02 dont use the themes that are 3rd party. atleast not on a G4 MAC MINI.

Or maybe the HDD died just cause it stay on or weeks at at time with no SLEEP or rest.

AppleCare protection plans are a wonder. and APPLE TECH Support is great.

THey are replacing the HDD and possibly the entire unit if its a bigproblem.

Hope noone else has to go through this hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
!Shock!

Stop scaring me, I've got a G4 mini and I leave it on for long periods of time as well, my greatest fear is if the HDD fails on me.

That said this happened to me about a year ago with it, funnily enough my solution is very bizarre. The system wouldn't boot as I had to restart after everything just locked up after the drive stopped.

I would turn the power on and off and tried for about an hour to get it working again. Then I tried it on the different screen (I'm not sure why) and all of a sudden it started to work again and it's been fine ever since. Spooky!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
apple replaced it and had it back to me within 2 days!

GREAT SERVICE!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.