Noobie with Mac v.videoediting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.00 GHz
I'm new to Macs...in fact I haven't even received mine yet. I ordered the black Macbook last night and it came with a free 2g Nano. Anyway, the only upgrade I got for it was 1gb. I left the storage at 80gb because I'm going to get an external anyway. (No laptop HD will hold as much as I'll ever need) So anyway, I was wondering how good the Macbook would be at editing video? Also to run miscelleneous media programs that associate with video editing to make special effects. I've only had experience with the newish generation iMac (Like the old ones that came in multiple colors, except they were all white and generally resembled the old ones) and I used Finalcut Express with them. They seemed to do just fine. Better than my PC machine in fact. My question is...is Finalcut available for Intel Macs? Is there a Finalcut Pro, and is it that much better? Will the 1gb be enough for light editing right now? I don't think I'll be able to make any upgrades just yet. I was also worried about the Intel 950 GMA integrated graphics. There is no way to upgrade, or tweak it to allow for more vRAM? I think that's all for now, I can't wait until I get it and boot it up. I'll be loading bootcamp soon thereafter and XP with SP2.

Oh yeah, I got an adapter so I can use my 19" LCD in my dorm and the small size of the Macbook makes it perfect to fit in my backpack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
macworld reviews them and apple said the 950 chipset wouldn't work with studio , but they ran everything just fine, final cut studio is out for intel macs, express just came out, but keep in mind programs like microsoft work and any adobe series woun't be compatible and run much slower on intel systems until next year

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.00 GHz
That's fine, since I only relied on my PC for gaming (which aren't really that demanding) and for word processing...and video editing. I was thinking about getting the universal version of Studio.

My question is...is there any lag with the 950 chipsets? Or did Apple just say they weren't compatible or whatnot? Link to said review? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Search the forums for more, but the basic answer is FCPS will install on a mini and run. The realtime rendering will not be as good as a system with a recommended video card, and motion may not be too useful. I haven't heard anything about the other apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Okay I could'nt resist. You sound exactly like a friend of mine who expects others to pick up where they are either too lazy or impetuous do make an informed purchase. You could easily have spent 20 minutes and found all the answers to these questions before you bought your machine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.00 GHz
So the jist of it is that the program will run, not smoothly, but perhaps enough where it's bearable and I can get by with it?

And IronMac, anyting said here would NOT have affected anything about my purchasing decision, because though a big aspect of my final purchase decision, not big enough to boost my budget to a MBP.

It's not like I'll be needing an extreme amount of real-time rendering, I mean it's a laptop, I know it's limits. I just need to get by when say; I'm not in my lab and I want to piece together a project I've been working on. Don't necessarily need to render it or finish with all steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Final Cut Pro / Express both run fine on the Macbook, almost as good as on the +Pro, but the realtime video previews will not be quite as fluid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram/60GB HDD/ Western Digital 500GB External HDD/ Superdrive DVDRW/
i do video editing...I didnt realize you couldnt upgrade the video card. I guess im stuck with the macbook

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.00 GHz
Just got my macbook in today and I'm transferring music right now from my PC. Posting from my PC because I'm too lazy to use the touchpad...lol.

Yeah my PC had big issues with realtime video previews. Lagged so much it wasn't even tolerable. As long as it's not horrible I'm fine with it.

Time to start downloading programs for it...I'm starting to get comfortable with OS-X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.