.Mac Needs a Hosting Makeover

T

TMelcher

Does anyone else feel like .Mac could gain a huge benefit from additions like:

...true domain support (rather than setting up a redirection). Apple could open up its own domain registration service to make it easy to integrate with .Mac.

...PHP/MySQL support. .Mac uses Apache servers, so this wouldn't be that hard of an addition, and it would attract more professional Mac users to .Mac.

I have a .Mac account, but find myself not using the hosting that often, simply because I like to be able to write PHP scripts to make my content dynamic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
yes, .mac is in need of a serious update, that or they should stop charging a 100 bucks for it! its not worth the money, and i still pay for it....sigh

OP
T

TMelcher

Exactly! If Apple is all about being cutting-edge, you would think their hosting services wouldn't be as crappy as Angelfire, even with the exorbitant fee they charge for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
hmmm lets see... I payed $10 for the whole year, 20gb space, 750gb of bandwidth, got 2 free domain names and get more features for hosting...

for $100 a year I get with .mac I get no domain support, 5 email accounts (provided you have the 'family' pack), easy uploading from iWeb onto my .mac account (iWeb can publish to any server though) 1GB combined space...

.mac is my opinion is a waste of money and a simple gimick to have a '@mac.com email address)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
JGruber said:
hmmm lets see... I payed $10 for the whole year, 20gb space, 750gb of bandwidth, got 2 free domain names and get more features for hosting...

for $100 a year I get with .mac I get no domain support, 5 email accounts (provided you have the 'family' pack), easy uploading from iWeb onto my .mac account (iWeb can publish to any server though) 1GB combined space...

.mac is my opinion is a waste of money and a simple gimick to have a '@mac.com email address)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Where do you get this deal? I want to know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.