Boot Camp Problems with 17" MacBook Pro

J

jt003649

Hi All,

I've installed Windows XP on my 17" Macbook pro using the lastes Boot Camp Assistant. I had updated the firmware before hand. XP installs fine and I can boot up into the Windows after installing. Once I install the Mac drivers disc and reboot though, XP boot up fine until just before the login screen then my screen goes blank. If I enter my password I can hear XP logging into the desktop screen.

When I boot into Safe Mode, uninstall the ATi drivers and reboot I can log in and the resolutions is set as the full screen resolution. The drivers are just standard VGA drivers of course and any movement of windows or scrolling looks terrible.

As soon as I reinstall the ATi drivers and reboot the same problem occurs, regardless of what resolution I choose. Does anyone have any advice on how I can solve this?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Did you install Windows XP SP2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Make sure your XP Install CD follows these guidelines as set in the Boot Camp manual:

"A full, single-disc version of Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later

Important: Your Windows XP installation disc must include Service Pack 2 (SP2). You cannot install an earlier version of Windows and upgrade it to Windows XP, nor install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it with SP2 later. See below for more information. "

Source: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572#faq0

as stated on apple.com, word for word.

EDIT: Also stated from apple.com,

"Frequently asked questions: Installation and partitioning

Why can't an upgrade version of Windows XP or a full version of Windows XP that does not include Service Pack 2 (SP2) be used for installation?

You would be required to insert your original Windows CD during installation, however there is no way to eject the first disc until after Windows installation is complete and the drivers from the Macintosh Driver CD created by Boot Camp Assistant Beta are installed. Important: Boot Camp Beta is designed to support only Windows XP Home Edition and Professional with SP2. The required Macintosh-specific drivers provided by Apple are only intended for these releases."

Source: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572#faq0

OP
J

jt003649

The installation disc is a single disc copy of Windows XP Professional SP2. I've tried a few friends discs too as well as my work's corporate edition XP SP2 but all have the same screen problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.