The Thread Discussion Of: Apple DVD Studio

G

gabrielleitao

For all Macintosh users that use this great software, please lets share what we think about Apple DVD Studio Pro, question about *** to use it, and suggestions and anything you want to talk and share about this Pro software.

We can:
- Ask questions about Apple DVD Studio Pro
- Give suggestions about Apple DVD Studio Pro
- Give support to people that don't know how to useApple DVD Studio Pro (people like me, lol)
- Have fun!

C'mon, welcome aboard, lol.

Gab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
start off the thread by asking questions and I will try to answer them, since you are new the best way to learn is to ask. This thread is possibly a good idea as a source, for people who are looking for information but the thread has to be sparked by a question.. Good luck and welcome to the forums.

OP
G

gabrielleitao

question

OK, To start, I will start with a question about DVD Studio Pro, which I just purchased, and I don't know yet you to use.

My question is: If this software lets me create my DVD, that means I create anything on my DVD, lol. The point is: I have this friend that is in my house and he lives in South America. Over there, the DVD Players and DVDs sold in the stores are all Region 4, and that means when he comes back home (to South America), he only can play DVDs that are region 4. What I want to do is create a DVD for him that can support all of the regions, if possible, only 1 and 4.

My question is that: If I create my DVD, can I choose what region it supports, can I choose one or even more than one?

Thanks for the help,
Gab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it is possible to do that in DVD studio pro, when choosing to burn the dvd you are allowed to choose what region you want to burn the dvd for. You are also allowed to choose more then one, or all of them if you want. There are regions from 1-8 next to each region it tells you which location it is for, 1 being united states, and 8 being international purposes (cruise ships, airplanes, etc.).
I would post pictures of what this screen looks like, but I don't have DVD studio pro on this computer.

OP
G

gabrielleitao

PowerBookG4 said:
Yes it is possible to do that in DVD studio pro, when choosing to burn the dvd you are allowed to choose what region you want to burn the dvd for. You are also allowed to choose more then one, or all of them if you want. There are regions from 1-8 next to each region it tells you which location it is for, 1 being united states, and 8 being international purposes (cruise ships, airplanes, etc.).
I would post pictures of what this screen looks like, but I don't have DVD studio pro on this computer.

Sorry for the delay of not answering your answer.
Thanks a lot, mate. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. So I guess when I burn my Home DVD I can select all of the regions or simply select Region0, that means it is universal region, right?

OP
G

gabrielleitao

Hi again. I have another few questions that I have I am curious about, and they are about slideshows and musics on my Home DVD using DVD Studio Pro 4: --->

Ok, so I use iPhoto to watch all of my Digital Camera Pictures, and I see them on a slideshow. The slide is great! There are effects on the transition of each photo, and the feeling that you have when the iPhoto slideshow is running is that the picture is "sliding smooth"/ Do you know what I mean? So my question is this: can I have the same kind of slideshow on DVD Studio Pro, so when I play the DVD I created using DVD Studio Pro 4 on a real DVD Player in my livin' room I can actually watch all of my trips and vacation photos on the DVD I created, and use the remote's arrow keys: foward and etc... to move to the next picture and the previous picture?

My second question is about a DVD containing music files' such as MP3. Do you know when we use the Apple Remote to watch your iTunes music and video libary? Is it pretty cool isnt? Do know think I can do the same on my DVD? If you dont know what I mean let me give you an exemple. Do you know your iPod? The architechture of the "Playing Now" on the iPod is quite like this---> http://netdevil.ne.funpic.de/Stuff/iPod/Gotit/hauptcase/hauptcase_hinten_gorillaz_nah.jpg
You have the song number (exemple: 6 of 15), after you have the song name , then artist name or band name, then album name, and then you have the time line where it tells how long is the song. Of course, there is also the album artwork on the far-left. My question is this. Can I make the same thing with my DVD? I mean, can I make a menu... with the name of some artist, then i click on the artist's name, and I have a list of songs, I click on one of the songs, and it starts playing on this DVD, just like on an iPod on an iMac? Is it possible? How?

Sorry if those questions are too long or if you cant quite understand what I mean... please ask me any questions so I can ne able to help me.

Many thanks,
Gab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gabrielleitao said:
Sorry for the delay of not answering your answer.
Thanks a lot, mate. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. So I guess when I burn my Home DVD I can select all of the regions or simply select Region0, that means it is universal region, right?

There is no region 0 in dvd studio pro, just idvd which is done for all discs.. In dvd studio pro if you want it to work every where all you have to do is select all the regions except 7 and 8, you will know why when you see what they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gabrielleitao said:
Hi again. I have another few questions that I have I am curious about, and they are about slideshows and musics on my Home DVD using DVD Studio Pro 4: --->

Ok, so I use iPhoto to watch all of my Digital Camera Pictures, and I see them on a slideshow. The slide is great! There are effects on the transition of each photo, and the feeling that you have when the iPhoto slideshow is running is that the picture is "sliding smooth"/ Do you know what I mean? So my question is this: can I have the same kind of slideshow on DVD Studio Pro, so when I play the DVD I created using DVD Studio Pro 4 on a real DVD Player in my livin' room I can actually watch all of my trips and vacation photos on the DVD I created, and use the remote's arrow keys: foward and etc... to move to the next picture and the previous picture?

My second question is about a DVD containing music files' such as MP3. Do you know when we use the Apple Remote to watch your iTunes music and video libary? Is it pretty cool isnt? Do know think I can do the same on my DVD? If you dont know what I mean let me give you an exemple. Do you know your iPod? The architechture of the "Playing Now" on the iPod is quite like this---> http://netdevil.ne.funpic.de/Stuff/iPod/Gotit/hauptcase/hauptcase_hinten_gorillaz_nah.jpg
You have the song number (exemple: 6 of 15), after you have the song name , then artist name or band name, then album name, and then you have the time line where it tells how long is the song. Of course, there is also the album artwork on the far-left. My question is this. Can I make the same thing with my DVD? I mean, can I make a menu... with the name of some artist, then i click on the artist's name, and I have a list of songs, I click on one of the songs, and it starts playing on this DVD, just like on an iPod on an iMac? Is it possible? How?

Sorry if those questions are too long or if you cant quite understand what I mean... please ask me any questions so I can ne able to help me.

Many thanks,
Gab

You can do slideshows in DVD studio pro but I have never actually done that, and I don't know why anybody who would buy the software would need it since things like that are for consumers not professional video makers, so that function does not make sense to me as to why its there.

In regards to they set up for music, I know how I would go about it using the entire final cut studio, but I know its a lot of work and needs knowledge of the entire final cut studio, and I would not see it worth it for this kind of thing, however I will tell you how I would do it any way.
I would first open up sound track pro, I would take all your mp3's and convert them to AIFF, and put them into a folder with a name where you will remember where you put your music.
Then I would go to final cut pro, and I would start typing out the text and then laying down graphics. I would put all of the text on a higher up level depending on how intense your are planning on making your graphics. Then I would use photoshop to help me with album artwork to make it look more apple like (reflection, pivot in 3d space, and a little glare) and I would add that to the left hand side of the text. I would then place a chapter marker at the beginning of the song, name it what the song is, and then go from there...(repeating the process for every song you want) (I would probably do 1 final cut project per artist to make it easier for you when you are making the dvd in dvd studio pro.

OP
G

gabrielleitao

PowerBookG4 said:
You can do slideshows in DVD studio pro but I have never actually done that, and I don't know why anybody who would buy the software would need it since things like that are for consumers not professional video makers, so that function does not make sense to me as to why its there.

In regards to they set up for music, I know how I would go about it using the entire final cut studio, but I know its a lot of work and needs knowledge of the entire final cut studio, and I would not see it worth it for this kind of thing, however I will tell you how I would do it any way.
I would first open up sound track pro, I would take all your mp3's and convert them to AIFF, and put them into a folder with a name where you will remember where you put your music.
Then I would go to final cut pro, and I would start typing out the text and then laying down graphics. I would put all of the text on a higher up level depending on how intense your are planning on making your graphics. Then I would use photoshop to help me with album artwork to make it look more apple like (reflection, pivot in 3d space, and a little glare) and I would add that to the left hand side of the text. I would then place a chapter marker at the beginning of the song, name it what the song is, and then go from there...(repeating the process for every song you want) (I would probably do 1 final cut project per artist to make it easier for you when you are making the dvd in dvd studio pro.

That is a a great suggestion of yours! Just one thing, though, I cannot do. the Photoshop work you said, can I use Corel Draw 11 instead of Adobe, because I dont have Photoshop on my Mac, cuz they havent released the Universal binary version for Intel-based Macs yet, so what do you think? Also... do you know on the iPod, when yo uare playing a song and there is a blue line that tells you the minutes and the time left of the song that is playing? Can I also do that on Final Cut Studio? How?

Thanks for the big help,
Gab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you can do that in final cut studio, but not in a way of using code. It will be extremely time consuming and I would only make this dvd with songs on it that you know that you will always decide to turn on.

There are plug-ins for final cut that allow you to do things with time (count up and count down) so I guess all you have to do is to put in the end time at the end and have it count down.. and just have a timer at the beggining that just goes until you cut out of that song and into the other.

As for the not having photoshop that does not matter, you can use anything you want to give it any look you want. The photoshop with the reflection was just a suggestion, this is your creative work.

Enjoy playing with your new mac and final cut studio.. also enjoy playing with DVD studio pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just decide to give you a link... a very very helpful link.

http://www.peachpit.com/index.asp?rl=1

If you are truely interested in joining the creative community and working hard with final cut studio, photoshop, etc. In order to make creative things, and possibly sell your services, then I would reccomend that you go on that site and buy book that you think you do not know enough about and you would like to learn more. I have a few of those books and they are really helpful, the way they are written, the pictures in the books, and the sample media they give you are a great way to learn a new program, once you are done with the books you are ready to start work on your own projects with the book next to you incase you forget something. Then after a couple projects you are working on those programs like you were born knowing how.

OP
G

gabrielleitao

PowerBookG4 said:
I just decide to give you a link... a very very helpful link.

http://www.peachpit.com/index.asp?rl=1

If you are truely interested in joining the creative community and working hard with final cut studio, photoshop, etc. In order to make creative things, and possibly sell your services, then I would reccomend that you go on that site and buy book that you think you do not know enough about and you would like to learn more. I have a few of those books and they are really helpful, the way they are written, the pictures in the books, and the sample media they give you are a great way to learn a new program, once you are done with the books you are ready to start work on your own projects with the book next to you incase you forget something. Then after a couple projects you are working on those programs like you were born knowing how.

Thank you, a lot for the Final Cut Studio support and tips, and for the link you sent me. I'm thinking about purchasing some books from there, and have a complete manual of how to use those professional softwares. Thanks a lot, you were extremely helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.