What games will play on a Macbook

B

Big Tau

I was looking for an older game that I can fiddle with between or during class :) I was just wondering if there were any games that would run decent on the onboard graphics card. I am partial to the roleplaying games but just about any would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
try Warcraft 3. Or Diablo. OR check out Apple.com because they have a list of games for the Mac. OR look into Bootcamp/Parallels which allow you to partition your harddrive and run Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You should be able to play some reasonable games on the macbook. I have certainly had Unreal Tournament (the first one) running very quickly on my macbook. Unfortunately that port was abandoned at the alpha stage so it crashes a lot, but it proves that the graphics hardware can take it.

Personally, I play Oolite a lot. As you can probably tell from the name, it's a mac native port of Elite (the original), with a whole bunch of additions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Almost any game up until 2004-2005 should run quite well on the macbook (except for the most graphically intensive FPS and racing games).

Make sure the ones you get have universal binaries available, or look into using boot camp for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Easily.

Processor 450MHz G4 or faster processor
Operating System Mac OS X version 10.2.6 or higher
RAM 256 MB
Hard Disk Installation 2.1 GB
Video Card 32 MB or higher video card
Multiplayer

Even under Rosetta that game should run...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
For some reason I don't like boot camp, even though I have not given it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
heh, Switchers Syndrome.

we just want to stay away from Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Yeah indeed, but I am using Windows as I type :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
BootCamp is Great. Works as advertised. It's Windows that gives real Mac users issues! :spook:

When I first saw XP boot on a Mac it did bother me, but I am used to it, but truthfully never use it. I have a PC for any Windows usage I need, mostly Games.

on my Core Duo mini I played GTA3 and Vice City and they were quite smooth under Windows. As far as Mac games, as long as it's not like Doom III or Quake IV, it probably would play ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I think both Deus Ex and Caesar III exists for the Mac. Best games ever although getting a bit old...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Homeworld 2, Halo, and UT2004 will run no problem for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I ran world of warcraft no problem on my powerbook G4 1.5ghz so it should run great on your macbook. I haven't tried it on my Mac Pro yet.

Reaction score
caesar 3 is probably my fav game ever, just got it for my pc since my mac book is too new apparently. sucks, but oh well.

Reaction score
MEGS - Macintosh Emulated Game Systems

Hi. I don't have a mac yet. I plan on purchasing one for my birthday in May. It's been agonizing to wait. However in the meantime I've been researching, reading, and download everything I can find on the Mac. Something I just recently came across are Emulators for old game systems. The ones I'd recommend are Gameboy Advance, N64, and NES. If you are interested in playing these types of games let me know and I'll post where you can get the emulators. Downloading ROMS (Cartridges for the emulator) that you don't own is illegal. However if you do own the games I could let you know where to find them to download. I'm having a LOT of fun playing Super Mario 64 on my PC. You can configure the emulator to use your own user-defined keyboard keys to control the game. You CAN save your emulated games.

I'm not much of a gamer and I don't like playing all the shooter games that are out now or the Massive Online RPGs like WOW, I also want game that end and doesn't make me pay a monthly fee. So I've gone old-school and there is nothing wrong with that. If you enjoyed these Game Systems, you might enjoy the look of the person sitting next to you as you catch your flight home from visiting the relatives as you play Super Smash Brothers on your shiny Macbook. Heck, if you're feeling in a friendly mood, you could ask them to play with you (Up to 4 players can play at once).

As I mentioned above, 4 players can play simultaneously. However if you are using a keyboard this could get cramped and uncomfortable. I would then suggest using a separate keyboard for each player. You can also purchase N64 to USB converters online (I've checked, Ebay has them). These allow you to use the original N64 contollers you have packed away in a box (because you're playing that new WII, right?). I love the idea of having multiple game systems, Internet, and TV (Elgato's eyetv) all on one device. I can't wait till I get my mac!

If anyone wants to chat, I'm on AIM: MagicianMW

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.