Dell M90 or 17 inch MacbookPro?

Reaction score
Okay, here is the problem. I have a five year old Dell Precision Workstation. She has a six year old Mac laptop. We are getting a new computer; a 17 inch laptop that will replace both my workstation and her laptop. I do not want us to buy two new computers. I was looking at the Dell M90. She wants us to get the 17 inch Macbook Pro.

But I run Architectural Desktop, and other CADD software. She does graphics stuff. All her software is easily replaced by Windows versions. And her stuff is nowhere as power draining as my CADD. But she is adamant about the Macbook.

I have three main problems with the difference between the two machines.

One. The Dell is guaranteed specifically for the software that I use. Is the Mac going to work with my windows CADD software? Most of my work is Architecutral Desktop and 3d Max.

Two. With the Dell I can get up to 4 gigs of Ram. Does the Macbook Pro have a 4 gig model? I could not find one on the online store. Is there a plan to make such a model?

Three. The Dell has a 512 Open GL graphics card. Does the Mac? I could not find such a model on the online store. Does Mac plan to have these cards in the future?

She really wants that Mac (I think mostly because of the looks). But unless someone can convince me otherwise, I have go with the Dell (even if it is ugly by comparison).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
1: You can probably run your software on boot camp
2: You can get up to 2 gigs of RAM on the MBP
3: No, and No.

But get the mac. The rule of thumb on these things is that your girlfriend, if she wants a Mac, is always right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
It sounds like the MacBook doesn't really fit your needs. But from the looks of it you're probably spending over $5000 on the Dell. While you're at it you might as well spend $1100 on a base MacBook for your girlfriend/wife. It will outperform any 6-year-old Mac and it will prevent you from sleeping on the couch and spending a lot of time in the bathroom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
As much as we hate to admit it, Mac's are not for everyone. It seems you are the 2% who cannot find what it needs in a mac :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
NikBhat said:
As much as we hate to admit it, Mac's are not for everyone. It seems you are the 2% who cannot find what it needs in a mac :headphone

Yup, have to agree with Nik.
But also, since it appears you are going to spend alot on the dell, why not go ahead and get a macbook for your patner as well? :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No, the Mac is not for you.
Yes, it would suit your girlfriend just fine.
My two cents... you already have two computers.
Why don't you get yours and she can get hers? She is happy with Mac and you are happy with Windows. You both already have your own systems so keep it that way.
Don't force one or the other of you into something you aren't comfortable with. While it may seem like the 'gentleman' like thing to do, there is no rule that says that you have to buy both. :black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
D3v1L80Y is right. For what you want and need, that Dell is probably your best bet, and the Mac is right for her.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I suspectd that the Mac was not for me but your comments settled the matter. Switching will have to wait.

Reaction score
Yeah yo made the right choice. Simply because of the fact that both of you can work comfortably on a Dell while you can't work happily on a MBP, because Macs are not for you (at the mo).

Personally, I would recommend having a Deskop for the kind of work you do, and keep the macbook pro or dell for the portable necessities. But since not even I can afford that sort of thing, the Dell is your best bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yogi said:
Yeah yo made the right choice. Simply because of the fact that both of you can work comfortably on a Dell while you can't work happily on a MBP, because Macs are not for you (at the mo).

Personally, I would recommend having a Deskop for the kind of work you do, and keep the macbook pro or dell for the portable necessities. But since not even I can afford that sort of thing, the Dell is your best bet.

I agree you need a desktop for the work you do. Get the dell for now.. In a few months, when you decide you need a really powerful computer, look at the mac pro, if you don't like mac osx then you can use bootcamp. (I would not use 3d max on windows, It has a little different feel on a mac, and I like it better, don't know about your other program though)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Seems to me the Mac Pro will fit his and her needs and wants

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I only say that because you are trying to find a compromise between a workstation class machine and a notebook. Not gonna happen. Yeah the 17in MBP is a pro level machine but its not a workstation. If you go with the Mac Pro you get more performance per dollar and the upgradability of a desktop. 16 GB of RAM mean anything to you?

Reaction score
sounds like you need the Dell.

she could get a lower end macbook instead of the pro... it doesn't sound like she needs one as intensive as you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
With all this talk of the M90 I figured I would look at it.. I can't find it on the dell website... is is a special order item?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.