How long will it last sleeping?

T

todd51

Ok, I plan on only having my MBP plugged in whenever the battery needs charging, i plan on constantly using the battery and charging it when it's near drained to help the life of it. My main concern is how long does it last on the battery when I put it to sleep? Does it help if I quit all the programs before I put it to sleep?

OP
S

Sydrocentric

I don't know how long it lasts but sleep is sleep. When it's sleeping nothing uses energy. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Only the RAM draws energy, it should last at least 100 hours in sleep mode.
150-200 is average.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
lionel said:
Only the RAM draws energy, it should last at least 100 hours in sleep mode.
150-200 is average.

The intel macs hibernate, so I dont even think the ram draws power now.

OP
S

Sydrocentric

PunkRockTuba said:
The intel macs hibernate, so I dont even think the ram draws power now.
Really? When I would put my xpBox to sleep it was horridly slow on waking up. I attempted hibernation once, it always messed things up.

OP
M

menace3054

whenever i would put my powerbook to sleep,. it would be dead within 3-4 days, so a 100 hour estimate is fair

Reaction score
I have been wondering about this myself. I often put it to sleep before leaving work, slip it into it's bag, drive home and leave the bag sitting there until after dinner, then pull out the MBP and it's instantly on.

I have wondered how long it might last in sleep mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
the mac sleeps until battery power is almost drained, then it hibernates.
until it does this, itll use about .75% an hour. giving you anywhere from 100-140hrs of standby with RAM POWERED only.

after this it just hibernates. no power consumption. i wish osx offered a hibernate feature like windows, i miss that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
the mac sleeps until battery power is almost drained, then it hibernates.
until it does this, itll use about .75% an hour. giving you anywhere from 100-140hrs of standby with RAM POWERED only.

after this it just hibernates. no power consumption. i wish osx offered a hibernate feature like windows, i miss that.

In my experiance with XP i find that hibernation (specifically, "waking up") after hibernation causes many issues in windows. I dont exactly know why because all its (supposed to be) doing is dumping the RAM to the HD and powering off. On my XP x64 desktop right now the NIC doesn't work after waking (wont get an IP) and i've seen a lot of other weird problems on my customers computers related to hibernating

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Hibernation does indeed cause it to use no power, but I'm not sure how to choose that mode. The only time mine has ever used it is when the battery dies, so I can stick it on charge and resume. this link might be useful?

If you just close the lid it will go into sleep mode. You can tell the difference because the little white light on the front pulses when it's asleep, but nothing is on when it's hibernating. 100 hours for sleep sounds reasonable.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that little white light is almost enough to buy a macbook all on it's own.

i love that thing.

seriously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.