Upgrade g4 from mac mini install disk

Reaction score
I have a powermac g4 agp 400mhz. I have tried to upgrade the os by using the mac mini intall disk that I got with my mac mini. Everytime I try to install the software it says it can't install bundled software then it stops the intall process. Is there something I can do to intstall Os 10.3 and not the bundled software. If there is no way I can do this does anyone know where I can buy Os Jaguar for cheap. Thanks for the help.
-Zack

J

JunMacTech

Giansaz said:
Is there something I can do to intstall Os 10.3 and not the bundled software.
-Zack

Yes, buy a legal copy of 10.3. Your system restore disc is only legal for the mini that it came on. Im going to assume that you didn't realize this since you probably know that this forum doesn't take too kindly to software pirating. As far as buying a cheap copy, there is always ebay, but who knows if you are buying a legal copy.

OP
G
Reaction score
I already upgraded my mac mini to os tiger. So by using the mac mini install disk on the powermac is not considered pirating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Giansaz said:
I already upgraded my mac mini to os tiger. So by using the mac mini install disk on the powermac is not considered pirating.
But it is still against the EULA. Those restore/install discs are intended only for the machines they are included with. Using them or attempting to use them on another machine violates the software license agreement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Aside from the legalities of it, most of the restore discs are ties to their machine types. An iMac disc won't work in a Min, my Quad disc won't work in my iBook or vice-versa.

OP
G
Reaction score
How come macsales.com sells os x in the emac install disc. This is how I upgraded my powermac the first time to os 10.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Giansaz said:
How come macsales.com sells os x in the emac install disc. This is how I upgraded my powermac the first time to os 10.1.

The limitation to only a certain machine type for the restore disks is recent, 10.1 is far away from recent... :cool:

Anyway, it's always better to buy a retail copy, new or used from eBay. It assures that it will work (if the Mac is compatible to that OS X version, of course) and there are no legal issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Giansaz said:

10.1 was a free upgrade to 10.0, anything beyond that has not been.

OP
G
Reaction score
baggss said:
10.1 was a free upgrade to 10.0, anything beyond that has not been.
I have successfukky upgraded my powermac g4 to to os 10.2 by using the emac install disk that purchased from macsales.com. It is possible to upgrade from another machines install disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.