Photoshop on Macbook?

C

cvclover

Trying to decide between the black Macbook and the lowest Pro... and it basically comes down to this.

Can the macbook run photoshop?

Reaction score
yes it can, but it will use emulation software so it wont run as fast

OP
C

cvclover

Not as fast as in, workable, or is it going to be a waste of my time? Worth getting the Pro with the 128mb card?

I just have trouble justifying the price difference between the two for ONLY the video card upgrade... same HD space, drives, and processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The macbook will run photoshop as fast as the macbook pro can. The emulation will mean that it will not run at 'native' speeds, but there is a universal binary in the works. The only way to guarantee native speeds for photoshop is to get a PPC mac at the moment, but given the clear performance advantage of the intel chips for native, it's probably worth putting up with the slight degradation for now, and running it really nicely once the universal binary is out.

OP
C

cvclover

So for photoshop use, it makes NO difference whether I get a Macbook or the Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
cvclover said:
So for photoshop use, it makes NO difference whether I get a Macbook or the Macbook Pro?

not it doesnt, ps doesnt use 3d graphics, what macbook has is enough... (unless u get the 2.17 ghz one which might give it a SLIGHT boost in perf)

what you do want is the MOST ram you can afford... emulation runs MUCH faster with 2 gigs of ram...

get a macbook, and load it up with 2 gigs of ram and it will be 'good' enough until the universal version comes out :)

either that, or you can load u PS in windows through bootcamp and it'll be much faster, but I dont use windows unless I reallyyyy need it like my GPS map program or something

Reaction score
here is somethign from macworld magazine...

you owe me for reading this, and copying it here from my magazine :p

The PS suite test is a set of 14 scripted taks using a 50mb file. photoshp's memory was set to 70 percent and history was set to min.

macbook 1.83 - 2.53
macbook 2.00 - 2.38
powerbook g4 1.5 ghz - 1.43
macbook pro 2.00 - 2.46

as you see having a macbook pro makes no diff :)

OP
C

cvclover

Thanks for the info.

I wont be able to use Aperture on the macbook though right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.