G5.

T

T.P.

Hi fellas, new to the board. I just bought a new power mac g5. I am trying to get familiar with it. I also bought the extreme wireless card. I need a lil help installing it. I opened her up but don't see where it goes. It's probably right under my nose. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
there is a great image on page 18 of your users manual that shows you where it is!!!! and then go to page 68 on how to install it.!!!!!

good luck! remember the manual is usually your best friend
-chris

OP
T

T.P.

Thanks coach.

On page 68 is the internal battery backup. Are you sure that is it. I'll look again. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
T.P. said:
On page 68 is the internal battery backup. Are you sure that is it. I'll look again. Thanks for the help.

looks like they may have changed the g5 manual around a bit, battery is on page 71 for me....just use the table of contents and you will get to it
-chris

OP
T

T.P.

I found it it was right above the ram. Which of the antennas do i hook up? There are 2 black wires. Does it just snap right on cuz i tried it. I just didnt want to be 2 forceful. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
On the Dual core PowerMacs, Airport Extreme is not a user installable part, which is why it is not mentioned anymore in the manual.

The card also is different, what you need is not the normal Airport Extreme card, but a kit which includes the Airport Extreme/Bluetooth combo module, and an adapter card to put it in the slot.
The two antenneas have connectors for that combo card, and won't fit on the standard Airport Extreme card.

OP
T

T.P.

Ok

Thanks Avalon. I am glad i wasnt losing my mind. So what do i have to get and do to get internet? thanks again!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
If you really want to go wireless, you only have 2 options:
1. Find a Mac compatible WLAN PCIexpress card (not really easy)
2. Bring you PowerMac to the closest Apple authorized service center, and ask them.

As I said, this kit is not a user installable part, which means you can't actually buy it from a store, and if you do anything wrong while installing, your machine's warranty is gone.

It would have been better and cheaper to buy the PowerMac already with the wireless option... :eek:neye:

OP
T

T.P.

Yeah!

I asked that idiot at fry's he said it was ready. Do you know the exact name of the card i need so i can try and find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are the part numbers:
Z661-3692 Airport/Bluetooth conbo card
922-7152 Runway-card (the adapter card needed to fit the combo card into the slot)
922-7090 Standoff for Runway-card (plastic pins to hold the card in place)

Once again, these are Apple service parts, which you probably won't find anywhere else than from an Apple service provider (most service provider do not sell service parts without doing the repair themselves). And the whole thing will cost you around 110-120,- with the risk of voiding your warranty if anything goes wrong.

And just to make sure: I can not be held responsible for any damage you do to your PowerMac. :cool:

OP
T

T.P.

Kool!!

The apple store here in hostin said if i buy it the installation is free. So i will go tomorrow. Coach though i wasnt reading the manual. LOL!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.