Itunes and Duplicates

J

jose_v

I've brought up this question before but I'm trying to find a satisfactory answer. I'm trying to transfer my music from my Windows machine to Itunes but everytime I use the Add to Library button, it automatically generates duplicates of the file. I have quite a bit of music and it's not exactly efficient to have to delete every other file when I open up all duplicates. Anyone have any ideas on how to transfer music without getting a massive amount of work ahead of me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you already have the music in iTunes, why are you re-adding it? Are you saying that if you choose a folder of say 6 songs and add it to iTunes you end up with 12 songs vice 6, when there were no songs there to begin with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
jose_v said:
I've brought up this question before but I'm trying to find a satisfactory answer. I'm trying to transfer my music from my Windows machine to Itunes but everytime I use the Add to Library button, it automatically generates duplicates of the file. I have quite a bit of music and it's not exactly efficient to have to delete every other file when I open up all duplicates. Anyone have any ideas on how to transfer music without getting a massive amount of work ahead of me?
iTunes-->preferences-->advanced-->uncheck the copy to itunes folder

What it is doing is leaving your original in its place and making another copy in the iTunes library folder. It can manage them just fine without doing that.

OP
J

jose_v

rcltrh said:
iTunes-->preferences-->advanced-->uncheck the copy to itunes folder

What it is doing is leaving your original in its place and making another copy in the iTunes library folder. It can manage them just fine without doing that.

Ok, thanks. I don't know why I didn't see that earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.