• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wallpaper on 15.4inch MBP

Reaction score
Hi, I have downloaded a 1440x900 wallpaper for my 15.4inch MBP but when i set it as my fullscreen wallpaper is is not a crisp image, as if it is not meant to fit the size of my screen. I have tried this for a couple of 1440x900 wallpapers and i have the same problem. Please can someone tell me how i can overcome this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you checked to see if the 'stretch image' or any other option is enabled?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah i have tried it with 'stretch to fill screen' and just 'fill screen' but it has no effect. It's very strange because when i go to iPhoto and open it in 'edit in full screen' mode it fits the full screen as it should, with a crisp image. Thanks for your reply though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
OP
M
Reaction score
Yep i tried that as well. It makes it a small image in the centre of the screen. I'm baffled because it's not the resolution of the image, that's fine. It's just when it converts to a wallpaper it goes all grainy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Try setting it as the Desktop directly from iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Where did you download the background from?
Are you 100% certain that you downloaded the correct sized resolution?

OP
M
Reaction score
I got the background from skins.be so it's a trusted source. I also tried a few different ones. However, IronMac you seem to have solved the problem for me although i'm not sure it's exactly what you meant! I was setting the background from iPhoto but by placing the image on the desktop and choosing it from there, it has solved the problem and the image is now crisp.
Thanks for your help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
mac.chr said:
I got the background from skins.be so it's a trusted source. I also tried a few different ones. However, IronMac you seem to have solved the problem for me although i'm not sure it's exactly what you meant! I was setting the background from iPhoto but by placing the image on the desktop and choosing it from there, it has solved the problem and the image is now crisp.
Thanks for your help guys.
I thought that maybe you were trying to set the desktop from a thumbnail version of the picture. So when you said that you can see the pic just fine in iPhoto I went with that.
The way you did it is fine but there is a simpler way. In the iPhoto toolbar there is a button that says Desktop. If you don't see it, it can be enabled from View>Show in Toolbar. Then next time you want to set a picture just select it in iPhoto and hit that button.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks IronMac, i have enabled the desktop icon and it works fine now.
Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.