Plastic piece warped and not flush on new MacBook

B

Brigadeer

I just got a new MacBook yesterday. Well, let me re-phrase that, I got a "refresh" MacBook from my local MacStore yesterday. A refresh unit for those that might not be aware are perfectly good units that have been returned to the store within the 14 day time period, and a 10% restocking fee was paid on them, and they are sold for a lower price, but come with the same exact standards and warranty as a brand new unopened item.

Back to topic. I had it out for the first time during lunch today with a friend, and my buddy pointed out a section of the plasic cover on top that is not flush and is starting to warp up. It is located and the front left corner of the MacBook. As you know, all of the casing of the MacBook is glossy white, and then there is the somewhat matted white piece of plastic on top around the keyboard that is supposed to be flush with the rest of the glossy white casing. Well in the left corner, the white matted casing around the keyboard is starting to warp up and is not flush. Now that he has pointed it out to me, I can't help but see it all the time and it is driving me crazy!

I am taking it back to the MacStore immediately after work today. Is this something they will replace or fix, or will they give me the run around on this???

Note, the piece of plastic that is warping and that I am referring to is apparrently the same large piece of plastic that has been having staining problems and is being replaced for some people. Just thought I would clarify a little further.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
if it is any consolation I do not think the matte finish plastic on the keyboard is supposed to be flush. Actuall, my entire matte piece sits barely above the rest of the glossy plastic.

OP
B

Brigadeer

It's very cool to be posting this wirelessly from my new MacBook.

Yes, I now notice that the piece of plastic I am referring to does not sit exactly flush with the rest of the casing, rather it is elevated over it ever so slightly. That being said, there is a very noticeable difference from one side to the next. On one side, the plastic is noticeably warping or buckling up, while the other side is perfectly level and straight all the way across.

I called the AppleStore that I purchased from, and they just asked that I bring it in. I hope they don't try and tell me to live with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I know what your on about.

If you run your finger across the hinge area over the rear vent when open you can feel a slight change in size just above the F9/F10 keys.

I noticed this on my new MacBook and then went to a local store and even they had the same feel.

I just put it down to it just being that way to cram in all the goodies inside.

But it would be good to hear what your Apple say about this.

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, when I shut the LCD on my Black Macbook, the left side has an even gap while the right side seems to have a convex (higher in the middle) warp to it. It doesn't bother me much. Doesn't affect anythin.

My LCD hinge squeaks when I pick up my Macbook from either the left or right front corner too. That doesn't really bother me either.

LOL

Reaction score
yeah take it tto the store, lets see what they do... i'm curiosu to see too...

when I took my macbook back (becuase it yellowed out within 2 weeks) I complained and they gave me a new one without even asking me for my receipt... if they do that to you, maybe you'll get a new one lol

OP
B

Brigadeer

symondavis said:
I know what your on about.

If you run your finger across the hinge area over the rear vent when open you can feel a slight change in size just above the F9/F10 keys.

I noticed this on my new MacBook and then went to a local store and even they had the same feel.

I just put it down to it just being that way to cram in all the goodies inside.

But it would be good to hear what your Apple say about this.

Actually the area I am speaking of in not on the rear of the laptop or near the vents and F keys. The area I am speaking of is the front of the compter, on the very corner of the laptop up front, to the far front left of the touchpad when sitting down looking at your computer.

As of now it isnt a huge deal or anything, but it is very annoying to know that it is there, and unacceptable in my opinion being a brand new unit. Besides, something like this only looks like it will get worse and spread out over time.

Reaction score
Brigadeer said:
Actually the area I am speaking of in not on the rear of the laptop or near the vents and F keys. The area I am speaking of is the front of the compter, on the very corner of the laptop up front, to the far front left of the touchpad when sitting down looking at your computer.

As of now it isnt a huge deal or anything, but it is very annoying to know that it is there, and unacceptable in my opinion being a brand new unit. Besides, something like this only looks like it will get worse and spread out over time.

I hear ya... the tiniest thigns will annoy me...

can you take a pic of it for us?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Brigadeer said:

I have the same thing on my MacBook, its been like this from day one there is also a small gap by the area over the CD rom drive. I asume its because apple didnt design more places for screws to secure the deck plastic in place, its not a big deal for me since its still alot better then most laptops in this price range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
my macbook is slightly 'squishy' along the left hand side, and the plastic around the keyboard isn't uniformly flush all around. On the other hand, I only discovered this because I specifically looked due to questions like yours, and it doesn't bother me (indeed, I forgot until just now). It's just "one of those things", I guess. If I can put up with the entire HDD bay cover and half the PCMCIA slot cover being missing on my thinkpad, I can put up with 0.5mm difference in keyboard casing :)

Reaction score
Just purchased a Macbook on 3-10-08. Noticed slight warping along the left side above the ports. It involves the lid. About a 2mm gap. Called Apple and they said they would replace it. I wonder if it related to the power source. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.