Adding Printer Drivers ? The more I use OSX, The more I hate Apple.

B

BaLLZaCH

Adding Printer Drivers ? How do you simply add a new printer to the list ???

Hello all,
(I tried to edit the post topic to 'dislike' but I cant change it :) lol sorry)

I am having some high blood pressure problems installing a freakin printer on OSX 10.3 , I was hoping somebody could please please help me out ...

Basically, I have a LAN with one iMAC and 2 XP boxes. The 2 PCs have printers and the iMAC has one local. (Which I actually just moved to a PC)
I have 12+ year of computer experience, but not OSX experience, only a few weeks with OSX, and a few months with Linux.

_____>iMAC
/
/
|____/----> Kodak
|>XP\___> Lexmark
|
\____>XP\___> Brother

The iMAC can print local to a Brother Laser that I added with the software CD, no problems at all. (I moved the printer to the 2nd XP box and the iMAC prints via IP PRINTING to the brother with NO PROBLEM.) This, I assume, Is because I had it LOCAL first, installed the software, and when I moved it, I had the option for the drivers on the list.

HOWEVER,
On the other PC, I have a Kodak Photo printer and a Lezmark inkjet. If I use the method of 'Windows Printing", I can select the printer but NO DRIVERS are listed. Even after using the install CDs.

If I use 'IP Printing" (Instead of windows printing) the same goes, I cannot select a proper driver for the printer. Generic will not work.

The problem is, I cannot add the drives for these remote printers , I dont understand. I have used the install CD's on the mac, and read help docs on them, but they are no help, just crap.

JUST AS AN EXAMPLE, of what I am trying to do, is per-say, I wuld click "Add Printer", but the printer is not in the list, ok, I will now click BROWSE and click the CD ROM, and there is the drivers, built for OSX as it says on the disc. It is added now. How do you do that with OSX ?

The only thing I can think of is to add each printer locally the the mac, add the drives (Like I did the Brother) and then put them back on the network, and use the local drivers already installed. Rediculous, there has to be another way ???

Please, any help is greatly appriciated.
THANKS !

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you checked the manufacturer's web site for the latest printer drivers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you tried downloading and installing Bonjour for Windows...?

BTW, it is spelled "Ridiculous" and not "Rediculous".

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

baggss said:
Have you tried downloading and installing Bonjour for Windows...?

BTW, it is spelled "Ridiculous" and not "Rediculous".

LOL, sorry Baggs, when my head starts tingling there aint no tellin what kind of words will come out :)

I checked the Bonjour link that you gave me, Im not sure I understand how to install it on OS 10.3.9, all it has is a link for Windows and the description of OS 10.4.7 ...... I installed it on Windows, but no help.

Also RMAN, at first I tried going to the web sites and using the driver downloads. lexmark says 'compressed using an unknown type" - (I dont remember if it is dmg or stuff-it file, but anyways tried several times, it is corrupt) - So, I tried using the OS9 download, it did the same thing my disc does, except in Classic mode :)

This is why I tried the CDs.

The kodak download is (Ill have to check later, dont remember) but it is a file that I have not seen before, it is not zipped stuffed or dmg, so I figured it was a driver ? I installed it by clicking 'other' in printers, and selecting the file, all this did was add the printer as a "System V Printer" which obviously didnt work.

Im lost still :-(
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Depending on the model of your lexmark, you might want to try the open source gimp-print drivers (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3). I use these for my remote HP printer and they work a charm, which is especially nice as HPs drivers do not support remote printing for some reason.

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

cazabam said:
Depending on the model of your lexmark, you might want to try the open source gimp-print drivers (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3). I use these for my remote HP printer and they work a charm, which is especially nice as HPs drivers do not support remote printing for some reason.

thanks cazabam, but the model isn't listed as supported...

it is "Lexmark Z700"

BUT, the lexmark disc and download page support OSX 10.3 (So they say)

:-( But how do I add the new drivers ? This should never be this complicated for a simple printer driver....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You add them by running the installer that should be included with the download on the lexmark website.

When they are installed you don't have to choose which drivers you want to use with a device, you just have to pick the correct device from the add printers dialogue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The .hqx file on the lexmark website won't open with stuffit for some reason.

I downloaded another app and was able to open it though. The installer seems to work fine then.

I've re-zipped it as a regular .zip file and uploaded it to my iDisk. You can download the fixed version from there if you want:

(Note: this download is only for Ballzach, please post back here when you've grabbed it, so I can remove it again).

Hope this helps you get it sorted!

For those interested: I was able to un-archive it using "Nutcase-binhex", a little freeware utility I found on versiontracker... to install the utility you have to first un-archive it with stuffit though - maybe the author should reconsider his distribution method... :)

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

Aptmunich said:
You add them by running the installer that should be included with the download on the lexmark website.

When they are installed you don't have to choose which drivers you want to use with a device, you just have to pick the correct device from the add printers dialogue.

Well, That 'is' exactly the problem. There isn't a printer 'in the list' beacuse the software will not install printer-names/drivers until you click a detected printer, but it is not 'detected' because it is a networked printer.

So, I can't add the printer via 'Windows Printing' Or 'IP Printing' or SAMBA either, because, there is no printer name (ie, driver) for me to choose, and the install software will not 'finish installing' the printer unless you click it first, which I can not do, because it is not local..., LOL, I cant believe this, this is worse than Windows 3.11 :)

BTW,
Thank you for the ZIP file, however, It would not unpack properly either, SO, I downloaded nutcase and unpacked the hqx from lexmark z705 - it unpacked OK,

EDITED UPDATE:
Ok, I just installed the Kodak locally. This now shows a printer to choose in the list. I added the printer locally. HOWEVER, I still cannot add it to Windows, IP, or SAMBA printing because I am not given the option the CHOOSE the Kodak printer. It only gives me that option when adding it locally.

RRRRRRRRrrrrr ....

I emailed Kodak and Lexmark support , lol, like that would help hehe

Any other ideas ?

Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Did you do as I reccomended earlier?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A problem with some manufacturers (*ahem*lexmark*ahem*HP*ahem*) is that their drivers only seem to work for locally connected printers. For my HP, as I mentioned, I use the ones from linuxprinting.org!

However, please don't bash OS X for this problem. It has a standard printing system (CUPS) that is also used in Linux and other *BSD operating systems, and has a standard way of installing drivers. The fact that lexmark (and kodak) appear to completely screw that up is their problem, not OS X. It's possible to make anything look difficult with sufficient ineptitude, and Lexmark have that by the bucket-load in my experience ...

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

cazabam said:
A problem with some manufacturers (*ahem*lexmark*ahem*HP*ahem*) is that their drivers only seem to work for locally connected printers. For my HP, as I mentioned, I use the ones from linuxprinting.org!

However, please don't bash OS X for this problem. It has a standard printing system (CUPS) that is also used in Linux and other *BSD operating systems, and has a standard way of installing drivers. The fact that lexmark (and kodak) appear to completely screw that up is their problem, not OS X. It's possible to make anything look difficult with sufficient ineptitude, and Lexmark have that by the bucket-load in my experience ...

Cool. I appriciate the down to Earth reply.
You are right, it's not just OSX. It is the aftermarket. I'm just not having a good first impression with the 'Only computer that you would ever need' ....
:) I don't mean to bash it .... I just have dont have the experience with it.

I'll just assume these printers are not comatible with IP Printing ... I guess ...

(See, my OSX is my learning machine. I have other computers, other ways. I am just trying to figure it out, trying to learn the way of MAC, it is not life or death if it works or not, it just confuses me as to WHY)

Why does everyone think I am trying to pick a fight ??? LOL, Is it the way I type ???
-----

Yup, Baggs, I tried the gimp-print with no luck... (Listed in post above)

----

Thanks again,
I'll just keep trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why does everyone think I am trying to pick a fight ??? LOL, Is it the way I type ???

yeah, I think it's the bold and CAPS, as well as your direct style. Plus the title of the post didn't give the impression you were trying to learn and pick your way through, it sounded like a rant.

But as long as we know what you meant, it's all good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Can you try connecting the printer to the Mac on its own, not on the network?

Sorry to be obvious, but you have printer sharing ticked in 'Sharing'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ticking the Printers option in 'Sharing' only allows other machines to use your local printers. It's not required to allow you to connect to other machines printers.

Reaction score
Cool. I appriciate the down to Earth reply.
You are right, it's not just OSX. It is the aftermarket. I'm just not having a good first impression with the 'Only computer that you would ever need' ....
:) I don't mean to bash it .... I just have dont have the experience with it.

I'll just assume these printers are not comatible with IP Printing ... I guess ...

(See, my OSX is my learning machine. I have other computers, other ways. I am just trying to figure it out, trying to learn the way of MAC, it is not life or death if it works or not, it just confuses me as to WHY)

-----

Yup, Baggs, I tried the gimp-print with no luck... (Listed in post above)

----

Thanks again,
I'll just keep trying.
Just switched to Mac myself and I am obviously having the same problem. Mac owners are very aloof and sensitive, but very friendly if you show respect. I like a lot about the Mac but I hope to never turn into an aloof Mac owner.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have seen several printers whose manufacturer states they are Mac friendly and do package drivers for them, but when you get into the networking documentation to set them up, the manufacturer states they will not work if the printer is networked to a windows machine. Most just flat out don't tell you this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.