DVI problems on Mac Mini PPC

S

smmcbride

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a PPC based Mac Mini (my first Mac!) and even more recently a Dell 2405FPW lcd monitor to replace my old CRT.

Using the DVI-to-VGA adapter that came with the Mini I'm able to view the output at the full 1920x1200x60Hz resolution and many resolutions below that.

However, removing the DVI-to-VGA adapter and plugging directly into the monitor's DVI-D input results in a blank screen. Removing the DVI cable from the Mini puts the monitor into a self-test mode so it seems like the monitor senses the disconnect.

So, I'm now wondering if my monitor's DVI-D input is busted or if the digital output on the Mini is not functioning or somehow disabled? I'm not quite sure what to try next. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks, Shawn

Reaction score
Did you verify that you changed the input to DVI on the monitor? Most displays with multiple inputs have to be explcitly told which input to use because you could have various things connected to it just like any modern TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What type of cable are you using?

Make sure it's not a DVI-A cable as the mini probably won't support that dvi type. You'll need a DVI-I or DVI-D cable.

Also make sure the correct input is set in your monitor's on-screen menu.

OP
S

smmcbride

Yes, I am switching the input. There's a button on the front of the monitor to switch between the 5(!!!) different inputs.

The monitors input is DVI-D; The cable I'm using is the monitor-supplied DVI-D cable. It looks just like the DVI-I adapter but without the 4 pins surrounding the flat bar.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you tried a cold start with the dvi cable connected?

So, turn everything off, connect the cable and turn both on...shouldn't really make a difference, but maybe worth a shot.

OP
S

smmcbride

Tried that as well with no luck. Once it's been on for a couple of minutes I can switch the cable/input to VGA and my desktop pops right up. I have a new monitor on it's way to me so I'll find out soon if that's the problem...

OP
S

smmcbride

Well, the second monitor showed up and I'm getting the exact same symptoms. :( Does anyone know of anything else I could try?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.