3D Design Programs Shake, Cinema 4d, ECt.

T

tashour11

I want to buy a program to take my designs off paper and turn them to computer generated images, I heard that Cinema 4D is very good, though My friends tell me that to go with 3Ds Max, I dont think they were aware of it at the time that they dont make the program for mac.

I also am woundering if apple's Shake can do the same thing at those programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Apple shake is a compositing program... totally different type of software. It is made to take elements and place them into a composition... Not to create 3d like 3dsmax or Cinema 4d... Of those type of programs I would maybe suggest Maya.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
tashour11 said:
I want to buy a program to take my designs off paper and turn them to computer generated images, I heard that Cinema 4D is very good, though My friends tell me that to go with 3Ds Max, I dont think they were aware of it at the time that they dont make the program for mac.

I also am woundering if apple's Shake can do the same thing at those programs

Shake is a compositing program, different from a 3d app. C4D has a great learning curve to it. I've talked with Autodesk people about porting 3DSMax to OSX, it's not likely at least for a while - nothing's in the works. Maya's learning curve is steep however but once you understand the scripting it's VERY versatile and it's also the industry standard for movies (Max for games). C4D is a good solution if you're needing basic modeling tasks - it's come a long way, especially with R9. It's also alot more affordable. :)

OP
T

tashour11

Thanks for your help, I am looking at those things in the area of product design, and i am impressed with the examples on the website so i am learning cinema 4d, I am demoing it before I go out and buy it and I am happy with the results

OP
B

bil2k

If you don't need animation, take a look at a program called Modo made by Luxology. I've been a Maya user for over a year and now I'm learning Modo because it features a much better tool set for 3D modeling. The renderer ain't bad either, it can do stuff like global illumination, final gathering, sub surface scattering, etc. Modo is also a universal binary, the other reason why I'm trying to get away from Maya (since they don't have a UB).

Anyhow: http://www.luxology.com

They offer a completely unlocked trial with complete learning videos, full help and learning support files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.