RAM Question: Identical Sticks or Mismatched Sticks?

Reaction score
Everywhere I go, I hear many different takes on this. I have searched these forums and still no answer. I would just really like to know which is true. Does having Identical capacities of RAM matter? Or is it just fine to have mismatched sticks of RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
As far as I know: No.

The chipset used supports asymetrical RAM, and can even enable dual channel access (I think that's what it's called) with mismatched RAM.

Even if it couldn't, the speed difference is fairly negligible from what I've read.

Reaction score
there was a review (i forget where I read it) but there was a review someehwere and the tests showed that perf was better... btw the non mobile chipset can do asymetrical, but the mobile chipset (what we have) prefers matched sticks

Reaction score
here ya go...

DO MATCHED PAIRS OF MEMORY HELP?
We've done some matched versus unmatched memory tests on the Intel Mac mini (which has virtually indentical architecture to the MacBook 13"). In the case of the Intel Mac mini, Quake 3 saw a 51% gain from matched memory pairs while Doom 3 saw an 18% gain. As for Productivity Apps, matched pairs gave iMovie HD a 3% boost and Photoshop CS a 4% boost.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

Reaction score
mynameis said:
51% from matched memory? I wish the would have posted the details on how they figured that. It just doesn't sound right.

I doubt they would make it up :shrug:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.