Recipe for a good quality Wifi Hifi using Airport

Reaction score
You want to use iTunes as your only music system.
You do not want any additional appliance other than your mac (no external amplifier).
You want your speakers to be totally wireless even between themselves. (not the case with regular amplified speakers (like Audioengine 5 for ex) because the amplifier sits on the subwoofer or with one of the speakers only)

Here is the solution :
Buy one Airport Express per speaker
Buy a pair of studio monitor speakers (those speakers are independantly amplified)
Buy two jack-RCA converters

Connect the Left Studio Monitor to the Left channel of the RCA-jack, itself connected to the first Airport. Do the same but with the right channel on the other Airport. Install both airports in your wireless network and select both airports while using iTunes.

Studio monitors are so much better than mass market powered speakers in terms of quality.
I bought a pair of Prodipe Pro 5 (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/speakers/prodipe/pro5), really a bargain at less than 300 € and I am so delighted with the solution that I wanted to share it here.

Good luck to you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Gigabit, 1.5 Ghz (upgrade), 896 Mb Ram, 10.4.7 ;PowerMac G3 300 Mhz; iMac DV+ 450 Mhz
Buying 2 airport expresses sounds like an unnessary expense. But I guess if you have money to burn... Why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Last time I checked, you could only select one Airport Express at a time to stream to....maybe that has changed.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
Last time I checked, you could only select one Airport Express at a time to stream to.

That was my understanding as well. If that has changed I will be buying a second airport express, not for the setup described above, but for some outdoor speakers. Party in the house ... party on the patio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm pretty sure you can stream to multiple stations now:

Question: Can iTunes send a single AirTunes stream to multiple AirPort Express stations?
Answer: Yes. With iTunes 6.0.2 or later, you can send an AirTunes stream to multiple remote AirPort Express units, provided that each AirPort Express has the latest AirPort firmware (available here). The maximum number of remote AirPort Express units is three to six in typical conditions. The number that works for you will depend on your environmental conditions (such as building composition and local radio interference), distance to the remote AirPort Express units, and available network capacity relative to your other usage.

I like the solution, except for one minor point (aside from the relatively high equipment cost): I use my computer speakers for films and other non-music use, but this solution will only work properly with music (yes you can use macfoil to stream other audio, but it will be out of sync).

But props to you for posting this audiophile's dream setup :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
It looks like you can run them all at once. From Apple.com:

Buy more than one AirPort Express Base Station and connect one to every stereo or set of powered speakers in your house — one to your stereo in your living room and another to a pair of powered speakers in your kitchen, for example. Its small size and affordability make it perfect for having more than one. Imagine being able to play your iTunes music on whichever speakers in your house you prefer — or all at once.

Cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
yea u can run multiple streams but just an idea but i'm not to sure of the name of the par but its like a normal earphones end at one end and then the other side is divided into 2 one for left speaker and one for right if thats what u are looking for

Reaction score
I run a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's off my Express and it sounds like a million bucks. They were about $125 if you shop around (typical street is $145).

I assume with mulitple Expresses you could run separate streams from different users -- for example, in the Den you could run a rock stream from Mac User 1's iTunes, on the deck you could run a jazz stream from Mac User 2's iTunes, etc.?

BTW, regarding Apple's quote "Its small size and affordability make it perfect for having more than one" I agree they are small, I would quibble with the "affordability" aspect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.