• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sandbagged by a Mac ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4
Has anyone experienced a problem of the Mac going ahead and, without warning, reformatting a camera memory stick ?

I downloaded some photos from a Sony DSC-T1 with Meorystick to my PC laptop. I did not delete them and there were additional photos on there that I did not download.

As a "backup" .. .ha ha ... see what's coming ... I went to move them onto a MacBook as well, using Finder (I do not like the IPhoto presumption of me not being able to see the file structure ...). I could not find them .. all i could see what a "misc" folder .. and nothing in it. The memory stick does contain NOW though the following files: .Trash, ._.Trashes, ,DS_Store, MEMSTICK.IND and MSTK_PRO.IND .. whatever these last two are. However, clear evidence of a Mac-based incursion.

You might think I had done something, but I did not.

I would think it more likely it was me if I had not moments before done the same thing with a Nikon D50, without any problems.

Anyone any idea what has happened .. as I now have a wiped stick and some files on there that were never downloaded and now appear lost forever.

Thanks Apple, I really appreciate all this ...

:eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Whenever you open up a removable drive on the mac it creates .Trash ._.Trashes and DS_Store files. The card has not been formatted so you must have done something else

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The Mac cannot just reformat a memory stick or andy disk like that for that matter. As for those files, they are created invisibly. For example:
Extension: DS_STORE
Program and/or Extension Function [What's This?] Company [What's This?]
Macintosh OSX Folder Information Apple Computer, Inc.
Specific Notes [What's This?]
Under Macintosh OSX .DS_Store holds the information which controls the way a folder will be opened; i.e., the shape and size of the window, the position of the window on the desktop and whether file, folder or icon view has been selected. If you were to delete the .DS_Store the folder would revert to the system default next time it is opened and a new blank .DS_Store would appear (invisibly).

In short, something else happened here. It was not the computer acting on its own.
:black:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4
D3v1L80Y said:
The Mac cannot just reformat a memory stick or andy disk like that for that matter. As for those files, they are created invisibly. For example:
Extension: DS_STORE
Program and/or Extension Function [What's This?] Company [What's This?]
Macintosh OSX Folder Information Apple Computer, Inc.
Specific Notes [What's This?]
Under Macintosh OSX .DS_Store holds the information which controls the way a folder will be opened; i.e., the shape and size of the window, the position of the window on the desktop and whether file, folder or icon view has been selected. If you were to delete the .DS_Store the folder would revert to the system default next time it is opened and a new blank .DS_Store would appear (invisibly).

In short, something else happened here. It was not the computer acting on its own.
:black:

As my Dad used to say .. it must have been the Fairies.

The only certainty here is that I have lost my files, and the Mac has written to the disk .... circumstantial evidence perhaps, but ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Did you verify that the files were still on the memory stick before removing it from the pc laptop? If you were using a USB device to read the mem stick sometimes it will delete the files if you dont use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the taskbar. I've had this happen many times.

On the other hand i am always copying files from my mem stick (via a usb device or connected directly to my Mac with my camera) and i havent had any issues.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini G4
Thanks (Dankeschun) Aptmunich for the tip. It worked perfectly, and I recovered all i needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey so you did try it! Don't thank me, thank the programmer (he does have a donate button :)) - it's saved my bacon before as well...

Glad it worked for you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
exif

hi

i had been googling for software to find lost stuff on my daughters camera
but did'nt get anywhere for os x.

thanks to you again aptmunich for the heads up on the brilliant exif, just recovered some lost photos of lake garda taken by my daughter in july
and donated to paypal for exif owners

kind regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
things dont just get randomly formatted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.