Wireless Mighty Mouse -- first use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
FYI.....

Received new Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) Mighty Mouse 10 minutes ago. Easy set-up using clear instructions. Dimensions exactly same as wired version. Feel in-use exactly like wired version. Unit is heavier because of batteries. (which is non-issue for me)

Looks/feels like a winner -- even if it did cost too much. This unit and wireless keyboard both work flawlessly and they really cleaned up my desk. Highly recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nice, I'd like a decent bluetooth mouse, but don't really like the original mighty mouse...

It would go nicely with my apple wireless keyboard though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
tell us when the batteries die...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
I'm curioius about battery life, too. Previous HP PC had wireless mouse and keyboard. (not bluetooth) Used lithiums in both. Keyboard lasted more than six months. Mouse lasted 30 days which I thought pretty annoying.

The new Apple wireless mouse was shipped with 2 lithiums (bless their hearts) so I should get a good direct comparison. Do notice that Apple's wireless keyboard and wireless mouse both have on-off switches. My intention is to leave them on all the time, as I did with previous HP units, in order to get a good comparison. Hopefully that will take more than 30 days but we shall see. Will post back at that time.

In the mean time, I'm liking it.

I

icemanjc

I'm pretty sure that they go off by themselves when theres no use, or at least go into power saving mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
To make a really good test of battery life you will also need to know the mAH of each battery that goes into the mouse. As far as I can tell already the mouse will run on 1.5v this is easy to figure out as both batterys fit in the same way, thus if I believe what Apple did was just double the life by running two cells parallel not serial. This is also why you can run the mouse on a single cell and not suffer the fate of a dead mouse when out and about.

When my lithium cells die I'll be using rehargable Ni-MH AA's as these have extremely high mAH (3500!) and have a low memory effect. I already have lots of these as I use them for my RC cars. I can imagine the run time of those in the might mouse to be very long even when using a single cell.

So far my mighty mouse has been heavily used since I got it Tuesday. I love it to bits more than my desktop PC's Logitech-MX1000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
anybody upgrade from a wired mighty mouse to the wireless one? Is the bt one more accurate as I heard or is it pretty much the sam? is it heavy-ness hard to get use to when moving from the 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
Yes I moved from wired to wireless. Its not as heavy as the old bluetooth single button mouse, but its still heavier then the wired MMs.

Yes I think it is slightly more acurate.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
anybody upgrade from a wired mighty mouse to the wireless one? Is the bt one more accurate as I heard or is it pretty much the sam? is it heavy-ness hard to get use to when moving from the 2?

That's what I did. Using with two batteries (although the supplied lithiums are lighter than alkalines) it is heavier than wired version. My "feeling" is that the additional weight is very much non-issue. The control and feel of the unit in-use is pretty much exactly like the wired version. Took zero getting used to in comparison.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Lift your LEFT Finger maybe 1/3rd of an inch and Right Click will work. Also be sure it's setup correctly in the System preferences. When you install the Mighty Mouse software it defaults to One Button.

mm panel.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah I see - had it set up correctly just getting used to it. However I am now having problems moving the mouse pointer - I can move across the screen easy enough but up and down can be problematic. I never had this problem with my original wireless mouse. You think I have a faulty version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual core 20" iMac | 2GB RAM | 256MB ATI Radeon | 500GB HD | anticipated delivery: 7/3/06 -> 7/11/06
After using the mouse for a couple weeks, the right mouse button is not as responsive as I would like. I often have to click it a couple of times to get the context menu to come up. I have tried most tricks I have found online including making sure my index finger is high off the mouse, but it still is not as responsive as I would like. It works OK for general computer tasks, but I am finding it annoying when I need to use it for gaming.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For me if my Left finger is the proper distance off the surface of the mouse, the Right always works. I have 3 MM's here and they all work the same.

I have read though from people who I totally respect, that the Mighty Mouse is not the best Gaming mouse out there. I tend to agree from the little I have used mine for really demanding games.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
tell us when the batteries die...

FYI:

Had wireless keyboard since 7/10. Screen indicator now shows four out of five power indicators still lit -- first indication of consumption.

Had wireless mouse since 7/28. (two lithium batteries installed) Screen indicator now shows five out of five power indicators still lit.

Both devices have been left on at all times even when the computer itself is off.

Will be back to report when they die.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
This is great to hear and a good read. I'm really considering in making the switch from my original BT MM to the new one. A little bummed to read about the right-click issue for some people. Regardless I'm really looking forward to getting that scroll wheel back and hopefully right-clicking won't be too much of an issue with me. I have been using my wireless BT mouse/keyboard that came with my iMac since the day I bought it last week. I really wasn't expecting much of it, but boy was I wrong. Both respond very well and with superb battery life so far. I'll be happy even with just a month of usage. I love BT wireless. Price is still a bit steep for the mouse I think, hopefully it may go down soon.

L

llbbl

I have rechargeable batteries that I am using in my wireless keyboard and mouse. the NMH energizers are really good. have a high mAH so they last a long time. well worth it.

T

TheMonkey

I find the right click doesn't always register on the wireless mighty mouse so I've just chucked it back to one button mode and got friendly with the control key (which being a PC user is strange). It also confuses the wife less in one button mode.

As for batteries - I've had it running ONE lithium cell as provided since i got it 7 weeks ago (from apple store uk :) ). that's about 8 hours a day continuous use so it's pretty power efficient. My old MS wireless one lasted about a month on two AA's.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
asolo said:
FYI:

Had wireless keyboard since 7/10. Screen indicator now shows four out of five power indicators still lit -- first indication of consumption.

Had wireless mouse since 7/28. (two lithium batteries installed) Screen indicator now shows five out of five power indicators still lit.

Both devices have been left on at all times even when the computer itself is off.

FYI: As of today, both units showing four out of five power indicators still lit.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
asolo said:
FYI:

Will be back to report when they die.

OK, here we go.....as of today, 10/3, got message that mouse batteries are nearly exhausted....one out of five indicators left. Mouse has been left on at all times since initial use 7/28...a little more than two months with two lithium batteries.

Keyboard still shows four out of five indicators lit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.