Wireless Mighty Mouse -- first use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
That's good info. Unfortunately I exhausted my original wireless Apple mouse in just a months worth of extensive usage, also left on. But 3 months is not that bad for a mouse of its caliber. My keyboard is in the same boat as yours. Still 4/5 bars since the day I bought the iMac back in August.

C

cowlick

TheMonkey said:
I find the right click doesn't always register on the wireless mighty mouse so I've just chucked it back to one button mode and got friendly with the control key (which being a PC user is strange).

Just got the BT MM today and also finding the right click a bit of a slouch on occasion unless the left finger is lifted off to an almost uncomfortable degree. Shame about that because otherwise it's a delight to use. Strangely, the right click functions still seem to work when set to single button mode, although you've got to hold the click down for about a full second to get the response. This also applies to the left mouse button in dual button mode. When holding the button down to select eg. text, the right button menus don't appear once you've started dragging, but if you hesitate for long enough on the starting point they do. I can see this might get a bit annoying. This is the first Mighty Mouse I've had, so wondering if this is normal behaviour?

If the batteries last a month I'll be delighted. The Macally BT Micro mouse I've been running for the last few months runs on AAA rechargeables, and both specimens I've had of the species last between 24-48 hours and that's it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 2GB, 24" imac 4GB
My Scroll wheel has gone, and this time there is no fixing it with the cleaning method (Wiping with a damp cloth isnt doing anything). This happened with my 2 old wired MMs, but now the wireless has gone, I dont want to chuck £50 away jsut because the wheel has gone. If I ring apple care, will they fix it under warrenty? They should, as in england all electronic products come with at least 1 year warrenty by Law.

Should I phone apple care if see if they will send me a replacement, or at least send it in to see if they will repair it? If they say they dont repair them I will be VERY annoyed indeed, and I might acually consider taking legal action, as this has happened to 3 MMs now, managed to fix 2, but the most expensive wireless isnt budging, and it cost me £50 (£50 is alot for just a mouse!) so im not going to give in on this.

Has anyone sucessfully sent their MM into apple for repair? I dont see why they should treat it any different from sending a laptop or computer in for repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
chaslam said:
My Scroll wheel has gone, and this time there is no fixing it with the cleaning method (Wiping with a damp cloth isnt doing anything). This happened with my 2 old wired MMs, but now the wireless has gone, I dont want to chuck £50 away jsut because the wheel has gone. If I ring apple care, will they fix it under warrenty? They should, as in england all electronic products come with at least 1 year warrenty by Law.

Should I phone apple care if see if they will send me a replacement, or at least send it in to see if they will repair it? If they say they dont repair them I will be VERY annoyed indeed, and I might acually consider taking legal action, as this has happened to 3 MMs now, managed to fix 2, but the most expensive wireless isnt budging, and it cost me £50 (£50 is alot for just a mouse!) so im not going to give in on this.

Has anyone sucessfully sent their MM into apple for repair? I dont see why they should treat it any different from sending a laptop or computer in for repair.

Have you tried holding the mouse upside-down and blowing compressed air into the scroll ball while moving the ball???

If you don't have compressed air (you should) you can blow into it instead. Just be carefull not to let out any spit. :D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
RIDE said:
Have you tried holding the mouse upside-down and blowing compressed air into the scroll ball while moving the ball???:D

In the couple of months I've had mine, I did have one scroll-ball anomaly. Blowing compressed into it while moving it around like you've described fixed it instantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried Blowing into it, cleaning with a damp cloth upside down, everything :(.

Havent acually got compressed air, so cant try that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
chaslam said:
Tried Blowing into it, cleaning with a damp cloth upside down, everything :(.

Havent acually got compressed air, so cant try that.

I don't understand. Compressed air -- like dust-off or Radio-Shack's "velocity dust remover" -- are easily available almost everywhere. A couple of short bursts with the little straw that comes with the can is what's needed. I'll bet if you can locate a can your problems will be over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I just repaired my wired MM, which was having a problem with the scroll ball. I opened mine up (voiding the warranty), unscrewed the ball mechanism, popped off the plastic cap that holds the ball and watch in horror as parts started flying. Fortunately, I had a clean work surface and didn't lose anything.

Opening it up required taking off the softer rubber sliding ring, and then popping off the outer ring, which appears to be glued on since there are no clips.

Unscrewing the ball mechanism is easy enough but you need a very small philips screwdriver. I used a small flat screwdriver to pop the mechanism open, but again, take care because the parts may go flying. What I found inside was fuzz covered 2 of the 4 tiny magnetic rollers, and no amount of spray air was going to get it off. I cleaned it off but then had a problem putting it back together since I didn't see how it was originally. What I finally figured out was that the rollers were arranged along the sides in a square, with the magnet ends each fitting in its own corner and the rollers facing out clockwise. The ball then fits and the clip will go on without problem.

Putting the rest back together was easy, except that the outer ring needed to be reglued (unless someone here knows otherwise.)

It's on the computer now, and seems to be working as good as new. But I'll have to say, having worked with the old roller ball mouse that can be easily opened, this is not a very friendly design. Mine was so dirty in 4 months of use that it stopped working, and I wonder how many Apple has to exchange under warranty. I'm sure I'll be doing this again in a few months, unless of course I buy something else instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I rang applecare yesterday about it, and they said that I should take it into my local apple store or dealer, and they are obliged to do just a straight swap for a new one, so am taking it in on Monday or Tuesday to swap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I figured they would replace it, but couldn't resist opening it up. I don't want to make a trip to get it replaced every time it gets dirty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.