Gaming on a macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Ok, so I think to myself now after 4 years of wanting to play Warcraft 3, what better time than to game it on my new macbook. However as that thought crossed my mind it gave me cold shivers down my neck. Should I be worried that playing Warcraft 3 on my MacBook might actually damage it? Wanted to see how other fellow macbook owners and mac owners in general feel towards gaming on ther mac. Note that I just want to play Warcraft 3 and maybe, and a big maybe wish to try my hands on Age of Mythology. As you can tell I am big fan of RTS. :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
im pretty confident in saying that running a game will not "damage" your macbook in any means, after all, Warcraft 3 (a game I also love) is designed to be work with a Mac anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
I hate to say it but I'd be amazed if WoW works on your lappy at all. You dont have near what it needs in terms of vram. But try it and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Intel GMA950 =/= video gaming card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - for casual gamers the macbook is more than capable of playing games.

I play quite a lot of games on mine and it runs them really well.
But I don't keep up with the latest and greatest releases, so it doesn't bother me than Oblivion for example will most likely suck on the Intel GMA950.

As long as I can play the occasional older fps or the occasional strategy game, it's a good enough gaming card for me :)

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Folks, it is not WoW I want to play, but Warcraft 3. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Drat, well we certainly got carried away there :)

Well there doesn't seem to be a universal binary version of warcraft 3 out yet, so it won't run very well on your intel mac. (It's optimized for PowerPC)

But Blizzard always includes bother mac & windows versions of games, so if you install boot camp and run it there, it should run perfectly (at least until blizzard releases a patch for intel macs).

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright sweet thx. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Warcraft 3 will work. I have a G4 Ti Powerbook (specs in my sig) and it plays W3 on full detail no problem. :)

EDIT: sorry, forgot you mentioned MacBook, haha.. It will probably run a bit slower because, of course, the code is written for PPC and Rosetta has to emulate it, but it will work. And of course, you can use Bootcamp to run XP to play it.

OP
BlueBacchus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Sims 2 works good on the low graphic settings (which are still awesome), Age of Mythology works great, perfect. Civilization 3 works great. Those are the games i've got and i've had only great experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I remember seeing a video of someone playing WOW on a MacBook with 2GB of RAM. It ran pretty good, but I wasn't sure as to what he had his settings on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core Duo, 2GB Memory, 500 GB RAM, 256 MB Graphics
Ya I play WC3 on my Intel iMac all the time. It works fine. I know you only have a macbook but still, I think it will work good. Don't waste your time downloading bootcamp. Just download the patch from Blizzard.

Reaction score
I read on an other forum that you can set the integrated videocard in the Macbook to "work with" 128 MB RAM in BIOS but they were talking about a PC not a MAC. Is this possible on a MAC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.