Updated Intel Chips for MacBooks?

B

Brigadeer

Hello,

I am a complete newbie when it comes to the Mac scene. I have never owned or operated an Apple before, that is unless you count the Apple II's that I used in gradeschool in the mid eighties.

Anyhow, I have really been intrigued at the possibility of getting a Mac these days and exploring everything that OSX has to offer, but also having the ability to run Windows and Office via bootcamp.

I really like the MacBooks a lot, but I wanted to know if I might be best suited to wait a bit before getting one.

From what I understand, the current MacBooks contain Intel Core Duo processors, which are 32-bit processors. I have heard rumors that Apple might start putting in the Intel Core Duo 2 processors into their computers very soon, which apparrently are 64-bit processors.

Anyhow, I was curious if anyone here had any ideas as to when these Intel Core Duo 2 chips might be available for the MacBooks? I don't want to go out and buy a MacBook now, only to see updated versions in 1-2 months that now offer the 64-bit processors for a marginal amount of more money.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
we dont know when the core2duo is coming out for us :)

some say it will only be for macbook pros, some say we might not even get it (do we have to get every chip intel has?) some say by xmas we will have core2duos in macbooks....

alot of just talk right now...

if I know one thing about apple, they like element of surprise :)

OP
B

Brigadeer

Yeah, I have noticed that about them. They hold their cards pretty close to the vest and keep their secrets pretty good.

I love the MacBook and really want to get into one, but I really want to feel good about my purchase and that I got the newest technology. I just don't want to drop $1200 on the very last generation of 32-bit processors, especially when the 64-bit processors might be right around the corner.

I can't decide on whether or not I should just wait or take the plunge?!?

Reaction score
well there is a conference going on I think on the 7th-10th with steve jobs... see if he says anything there, if not go for macbook

OP
B

Brigadeer

Yeah, I saw that he will be speaking at some Apple conference in San Francisco coming up. I will definitely hold off on any purchases before then.

In reference to new technology, I usually agree with you, except in this case. Buying a 2.0 Ghz processor now when I know they are coming out with a new 2.4 Ghz chip later never bothered me, and never will. However, going from a 32-bit design to a 64-bit design is pretty big in my opinion, especially with 64-bit OS's coming out right around the corner.

Reaction score
I hear ya... but if mac doesnt come out with any 64bit stuff (chips) they're not gunna make 64 OSXs either...

you gotta realize technology evolves fast... by the time you get core2duo macbook 64bit, there will be something else out there...

just be happy with whatcya got :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
We already know that Woodcrest will be in the PoweMac replacement, and we know Woodcrest is 64 bit. Odds are Apple will switch to 64 bit all the way around ASAP, assuming that 10.5 will complete the transition to full 64 bit.. IF 64 bit is important to you, then I'd say wait, particularly this close to an event.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
^^ Do you think Apple would cut off all of it current MAC owners by not releasing a 32bit version...

look at windows, how long has Xp 64bit been out? and it is still not main stream and that is almost 3 years ago AMD came out with 64bit CPU and about 2 years for intel..

Apple should make a dual flavour 32bit and 64bit. - the main thing for 64bit is larger ram allocation, then it is a matter of programers optimizing for 64bit, and to this day, most apps arent even optimized for dual core.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.