language of the OS X

Z

zen master

are there different OS X for each language?
or you choose a language when first boot?

Reaction score
You choose a language when you install the system.
You can also choose a language in System preferences in the international pref.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, OS X is multilingual out of the box and is flexible enough to even allow each user to use the system in a different language.

Just change the setting in system prefs, log out and back in, and you'll have the new language.

Most apps also support different languages (some freeware doesn't though...) except for Microsoft Office - figures!

Reaction score
can I install turkish for it? there is no option for turkish....

I know there is OSX in turkish because all the apples in my dad's office are turkish lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Aptmunich said:
Most apps also support different languages (some freeware doesn't though...) except for Microsoft Office - figures!

Lots of other professional software is unilingual too, like all Adobe programs, Macromedia, I think Quark also, though am not sure.
MS Office at least costs the same, whatever language you buy, while Adobe software is more expensive when you buy a non-english version.

Not to take off the blame from Microsoft, but many other big companies work that way.

It's interesting that the cheaper the software is, the higher are the chances that it comes multilingual... :cool:

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Yeah, OS X is multilingual out of the box and is flexible enough to even allow each user to use the system in a different language.

Just change the setting in system prefs, log out and back in, and you'll have the new language.

I just downloaed the turkish lang support from apple's turkish website, and installed it, but the finder menu and all are still in english :(

I think what he meant to say was change the language fully... from like popup error boxes to finder menu etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's exactly what happens when you select the language in the international preference:

All dialogue boxes, menu etc. appear in the new language you selected.

Did you log out and back in again? It doesn't show up until you do that otherwise...

Reaction score
anyone? :(

I took out al the lang. cept turkish but everything is still english :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, just tried it here and it didn't work either, but I didn't download the language pack, I just added it from the 'edit languages' menu.

Here a thought: Did you ever run monolingual or delocalizer on your system to free up space?

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Hmmm, just tried it here and it didn't work either, but I didn't download the language pack, I just added it from the 'edit languages' menu.

Here a thought: Did you ever run monolingual or delocalizer on your system to free up space?
what do u mean monolingual? asin just have one on there? yeah, i jsut just turkish, but everything was still in english... not sure what delocalizer is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No: Monolingual is a utility that deletes additional language files to help save room. If you run it, you'll have to reinstall os x to get back the old language files.

Delocalizer is the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd call apple then. You still have 90 days of free telephone support - have them sort this out for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.