RAM on an iMac G4

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
IIRC the 128/256Mb standard RAM was on the board (internal) and not accessable to the user. It should boot with whatever is already there, so I'd say something else may be going on. Does the machine even start when you hit the power button?

OP
T
Reaction score
baggss said:
Does the machine even start when you hit the power button?

No it doesn't boot. I tried resetting the PMU, but that didn't do anything either. Is this a motherboard problem then?

OP
T
Reaction score
Some new information: when I put the iMac down, about to reset the PMU again, it started making a strange tone. It did it once for about five seconds and then about five seconds later again for about three seconds. I'm not sure what this means, good or bad, but it's given me some hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
THIS may help figuring those beeps out....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
If you have the time try going to an Apple Store maybe.

OP
T
Reaction score
I opened up the Mac and it doesn't have any memory installed, not in the more accessible slot nor in the less accessible one. Now I just have to figure out what memory to buy.

OP
T
Reaction score
So now I have another question: Is it possible to run an iMac G4 from memory installed in the user slot alone or do I need the memory installed in the 168 pin slot as well? (I asked a technician at an Apple Store, and he basically said he didn't know ["It's never been done before."].)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.